Low Ferritin - 15 years post-op

Jennifer K.
on 4/12/21 6:46 pm - Phoenix , AZ

Yes, I take the supplements accordingly and the iron is spaced out. I've been fine up until the past year and all my other levels are perfect. I take bariatric specific iron and tried various types of bariatric iron to see if one would work better than another. I did a lot of research into the types and how they are absorbed etc and it hasn't made a difference.

Im vegetarian so liver isn't an option, I'm hoping the infusion helps and then I can maintain it. ?

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Stapler
on 4/13/21 4:38 am

I was diagnosed with anemia roughly 14 or15 years ago, but was not treated with iron infusion until they finally did a ferritin check and saw I had a level of 8, until just 4 years ago.

I think they spent way too much time doing every test under the sun instead of just looking at the big picture and seeing that I had Gastric Bypass and would, naturally, have absorption issues.

My point is this; Make sure every doctor you see knows the altered state of your body, really listening & taking it in. This fact alone could, perhaps, cut down on so many unnecessary tests.

Weight loss surgery is a wonderful thing for those of us who have tried over & over to lose the weight with poor results. But it is not a decision to be taken lightly as many not-so-good changes may happen, too.

Thankfully now that more & more people are choosing to have these procedures done, the medical field is finally catching up and are able to help counteract the few downsides of weight loss surgery.

I, for one, would not change my decision for anything in the world! So what I lost all my teeth and don't happen to absorb vitamins as I should? So what I have saggy skin? I have an acceptable BMI, I'm much more active than ever before, I can buy pretty clothes that fit, AND, most importantly, I am now accepted by society!!! No one looks in MY grocery cart anymore!

I wish you the best of luck on Thursday, and always.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views