What's on your Thursday Menu?

catwoman7
on 12/23/21 5:48 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' All!

I'm going to go to a "cardio dance class" (I guess because the instructor isn't certified in something like WERQ or Zumba?) this morning and then a senior strength-training class at 11:30. This isn't vaccinated-only day (only MWF are for vaccinated people only), but these senior classes aren't usually well-attended, everyone is a senior (of course), and everyone masks, so I don't feel particularly unsafe there. I'll wear a KN95 today just to be on the safe side - and stay far away from the others (which is never a problem).

the strength-training class uses these tube resistance bands with handles (in addition to balls and hand weights). I did buy some tube resistance bands from Target the other day to use at home, but I returned them yesterday because they had these plastic clips that I was afraid would break. The last thing I wanted was for one to break and have a band slap me in the face. So now I'm on the hunt for some very high-quality bands. I really only need one or two, so I don't mind spending more (a lot of them available commercially come in sets with five or six different bands - but the light ones are useless to me. I really only need a "heavy" and a "very heavy" one). I'll check to see what brand the ones at the gym are - and then check to see if they're available to the public (to buy). Theirs do seem to be really high-quality...

other than that, not much going on today. I'm going to make the marinara sauce for the Christmas lasagna that I'll be putting together tomorrow or Friday. It takes 1.5 hours on the stove, so this is a good day for it since I have the afternoon and evening free.

QOTD: yes - a few times - but not in several years.

B: WW lemon/blueberry yogurt pie. Coffee with half & half

MS: I'm thinking a protein pumpkin iced latte

L: miso/chickpea sandwich

AS: protein muffin?

D: the two chicken skewers I didn't have yesterday - plus coleslaw made with Chinese-inspired dressing

have a great day, everyone!

Greateight
on 12/23/21 5:59 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Trish - from Roguefitness.com

ROGUE TUBE BANDS

Available in six different color-coded resistance options, Rogue Tube Bands are versatile mobility bands made from latex-based elastic, with textured-grip handles at both ends. Each resistance band features a base length of 48", delivering incrementally greater resistance as it's stretched.

Rogue Tube Bands are quality-made, conveniently portable, and practical for gym or home use. By selecting the right size band for his or her training goals, any athlete can add a useful, custom resistance element to countless strength and mobility training movements, from rows and presses to bicep curls, tricep extensions, shoulder raises, etc.

Rogue Tube Bands can be ordered in pairs or in specific multi-band packages as shown below:

• #0 Very Light Tube Band Pair - Orange
  • #1 Light Tube Band Pair - Red
  • #2 Medium Tube Band Pair - Blue
  • #3 Heavy Tube Band Pair - Green
  • #4 Very Heavy Tube Band Pair - Black
  • #5 Super Heavy Tube Band Pair - Purple
  • Light Package - #0, #1, and #2 bands
  • Heavy Package - #3, #4, and #5 bands
  • Complete Package - All 6 bands

All bands include grip handles and a base length of 48". Refer to the Resistance Comparison Chart below to see how each band performs and which might be best for your regimen.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

catwoman7
on 12/23/21 7:56 am
RNY on 06/03/15

thanks!! I checked the ones at the gym when I was at that cardio class a little while ago, and theirs are SPRI, but I was asking the instructor about it (who also teaches my strength-training class), and she told me SPRI's are pretty good, but she personally recommends Rogue because she thinks they're even better! And then I just read your message - so I'll look for Rogue bands! Thanks!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/23/21 7:00 am
RNY on 02/14/18

you might be surprised what you can do with the lighter bands too -- I think good resistance bands are the exercise secret no one knows about; since my pilates trainer and PT have been having me do things with them I have become a convert. Squats and bird dogs with a light to medium band, holy cow. I also still use the lightest for my shoulder clocks because those just don't get any easier.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

catwoman7
on 12/23/21 7:59 am
RNY on 06/03/15

thanks! Maybe I'll just buy the complete set, then. The exercises we use them for in the strength-training class (bicep curls, chest press, and a few other things) I just use "heavy" or "extra heavy" band for, but I may just buy a complete set in case I want to start doing some of the other exercises you mentioned. I think I'm going to be doing most of my fitness stuff at home this winter because of COVID, so I need a lot of options! And I agree - the bands are much more effective than I would have guessed. I can really feel it - just as much so as when I use weights and weight machines, I think!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/23/21 7:01 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Were you able to get your covid test? I keep hearing in the news that it's hard to through the testing sites/get home tests but I'm not seeing that here at all, so just curious if it is true in other places.

Jen

catwoman7
on 12/23/21 8:03 am
RNY on 06/03/15

yes - and it was pretty quick! I'd heard lines were really long - and I checked with the pharmacies around here and no one has any open appts until the end of next week - so then I noticed some place on the list I'd never heard of. I think it's some kind of science lab, and it said they're offering free COVID testing via the county health department. They had lots of appts available, and were doing walk-ups, too. I got in the following day and it took all of maybe 15 minutes. Yay! My husband is going over today. He has no symptoms, but he just wanted to check before we have our family Christmas get-together (I've been congested for the last couple of days which at any other time I would have assumed is just a cold or some seasonal crud, but with Omicron taking off around here, I thought I'd better check..)

Partlypollyanna
on 12/23/21 10:19 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Oh that's good news and yay for negatives!

Jen

Greateight
on 12/23/21 6:12 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Good morning, everybody!

The last day of work. I'm really excited to have some down time. I have a few things that will bleed into next week, but not much. Today, I have calls at 10 and 11 and hopefully that will be it.

We are having our holiday virtual happy hour this evening (its hard to believe we have been zooming for almost two years). Actually Microsoft Teams but that doesn't work as a verb. I sent these Artisinal Cheese plates to my friends and I'm hoping that they get delivered today. I ordered them back in early December and when the sales person heard about the virtual happy hour they arranged for them to be delivered today. But I'm nervous that they attempted to get too cute and it won't be delivered until tomorrow. But there is nothing that I can do.

We have a few ingredients to get for the ****tails, but plenty of time to do so. Cardammon anybody?

I'm sore all over from being back at the gym after being away when I was sick. Also, I know that people have real problems, but I have a pimple in the fold of my ear and it hurts like a bugger.

Other than that, I'm just hanging out and waiting to hear what Amy thinks about the Reptilians.

QOTD: Yes. Although I've never touched the brakes - impressed guys. For those that live in cold climates, the tire will stick (freeze or rust) to the wheel after you take the lug nuts off. Put a two by four across the tire and tap the extreme ends of the board with a hammer to loosen it.

Breakfast: bagel

Lunch: Chicken Schwarma

Dinner: Espresso Chai Martini and cheese plate

Have a great day, all!

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

Amy Liz
on 12/23/21 8:59 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Haven't gotten to the Reptilians yet, but I can sympathize about your ear pimple cuz we are twinning there. Bugger indeed.

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

Recent Topics
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 57 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 360 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 302 views