What's on your Thursday Menu?

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/19/23 8:01 am, edited 1/19/23 12:01 am

Why do you need to stop taking the pain meds? is that a doc requirement because of the pump or your own desire?

If I don't take my pain meds on time, it can take a lot of trouble and time for me to "catch up" on the pain. When the pain gets too high - even trying to take double what I normally take may not work on it

PS: my diet greatly affects my pain. Eating foods my body doesn't responds well to - may put me in a double pain for a few days. It's always a challenge to stay on the "proper for me diet". Like now, I had a few days of not the best for me food, combined with not enough sleep, headaches (so not stretching or inversions) and my body is screaming with pain. Pain that doesn't respond to meds, and that may take a few days to get under control. The only good thing is that I can sleep. Sleep for hours if I need to. I have to sleep laying on my back, with a special pillow under my head and a larger pillow under my knees, but I can sleep. I know many people can't sleep, and I know that can add up to inflammation and pain. Plus, it increases the qty of hours your are in pain.

Hugs.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 1/20/23 2:51 am - Amarillo, TX

I guess it's a self imposed rule. It's for post op pain and I find myself taking it for the regular pain. It also makes me extremely itchy.

I need to clean up my diet greatly. I just don't know where to start.

thank you so much!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/20/23 9:30 am

The current pain plus the recovery is making you miserable. I hate pain meds, but without them I cant function most days. So I take them. Enough to decrease my pain enough for me to function. Eventually my body got used to the pain meds, but too much still makes me itch and gives me a horrible nausea. Too much is relative, one day it may be because I took them too close to each dose, other days, it's just because my system decided it hates me, or when I didn't eat much that day.
Benadryl helps with itching, or even Allegra, or zyrtec, etc. They also help me with nausea.
The pain pump - once its filled - you may need also to start slowly because most likely it would be similar medication and you may get similar side effects. I'm not 100% sure, and I know you would find out soon.

As for diet - some foods really affect me: anything with sugar, anything with a typical cooking oils (vegetable oils - like soy, canola, etc. are highly processed and are horrible for me). Then there are other things like nightshade vegetables and fruits. Even small serving (and I love them - i.e. tomato, peppers, etc.) can really mess me up.
Surprisingly some good grains also can affect me - i.e. oatmeal. Even slow cooked, well cooked, natural organic - not only I get nasty gas but the following day my pain gets much much worse. Keeping diet really simple - meat, fish, some hard cheese, eggs (I know you are allergic to eggs) - plus simple veggies - spinach, carrots, cucumbers/pickles, squash, etc. makes my pain diminished. But it may take a week or 2 of eating good for me diet to start feeling the good results.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 1/20/23 2:58 pm - Amarillo, TX

Thank you for the tips and support!

I really need to get my ass in gear on this. I know I am harming myself with this way of eating. Depression has been particularly hard for me as of late. I'm a constant work in progress...as we all are I guess. I need to do some research on the diet.

Amy Liz
on 1/19/23 4:41 am, edited 1/18/23 9:35 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

Good morning ~ Yesterday, work was enlightening - good and bad. I'm so happy now that I choose to switch jobs even though I'm doing both right now. They will be putting out a recruitment by the end of the week for my original job and I couldn't be happier. It's going to take months, because well - it's the County and we hurry up and wait for everything plus there is a serious background process since we are law enforcement, even for admin staff. There is light and better to start this now then next fiscal year - July.

Standing was good yesterday - that sounds so basic, but it's helping and so are the shoes. I wish I could wear my Birkenstock slippers 24/7, they are my favorite and I think cute for typical unflattering birks. I'm trying so hard to care more about my feet and joints than how cute my shoes are, but it still matters to me. I'm sure I'll cross over to who gives a **** soon. Chiropractor appt after work and I need to pick up my new retainers at ortho office - NO cookie today.

QOTD - I have switched it up a bit here and there, but I am back to what I feel works best for me - 1 Centrum Silver multi, 1 calcium citrate+D, b12, bariatric fusion iron chews+C. Numbers all good at my last draw in Nov or Dec.

Accountability= great on food, but there was plenty of wine

B- coffee x 2, egg bites

l - chicken skewer and dill pickle salad mix

d- leftover asada tacos on 25 cal 0 net carb tortillas

s- tomatoes, almonds

Have a wonderful day!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

Teenie
on 1/19/23 7:13 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Do you have "Better Feet Stores" in your area. I have heard very good things about them.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Amy Liz
on 1/19/23 6:59 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

We have 'Good Feet' stores, but I'm worried I will get ropes into no less that $500 worth of orthotics!

Teenie
on 1/20/23 5:27 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Your insurance may pay. It's worth checking into.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 1/19/23 7:24 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Ah, the slow as molasses hiring process! Hopefully they'll have someone to help before it's 2024!

Good shoes matter so much. And you're right, it's so hard to find shoes that are good for your feet/comfortable AND stylish. Having wide feet and high arches, I had to concede defeat in the stylish category a long time ago. It's fun getting to admire all the cute shoes other people get to wear, though!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Amy Liz
on 1/19/23 7:01 pm
RNY on 11/21/16

OMG molasses - TRUTH!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?