Binghamton Area WLS Support Group

Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/11 11:35 am - NY
Topic: Hi Teri
Just double checking your meeting times have not changed. Our last support group meeting for Arnot was August and I want to let others know about your meetings. I will be notifying some of our Arnot people when you meet so maybe we can continue with your group. Hope things are going well? and barring no unforseen problems I will be there the 14th.
Thanks
Tressa Ü
Teri S.
on 10/3/09 8:19 pm - Apalachin, NY
Topic: RE: Keeping on the path... inspired by Teri's post about journaling
Greg and Tina
    I love the idea of keeping track with a dry erase board on the Fridge!  For me to keep track of water, I line up my water bottles for the day on my desk.  (I have 3 16 oz bottles)  I know that for the day I have to drink all three before 6 p.m.  I also plan my food so I know what I am eating. 
  Greg, I know what you mean about the regrets.  I had lap band two years ago, which was the right decision for me, but I sometimes do regret not having the rny because of the slow weight loss.  I have lost 135 pounds so far but it is at 1-2 pounds a week so there are no big dramatic changes and I don't get the oohs and aahs. 
   The best thing to do before surgery is to start living the lifestyle.  Changing one small habit at a time so you don't get overwhelmed is the best way to do that.  Trying to radically change your lifestyle makes it harder to succeed. 
  As for journaling here, or in long hand either one works as long as you are honest to yourself and trying to figure out the best way to get healthy. 
   One of my great insights lately was the discovery of this book, Eating the Moment by Pavel Somev, PHD.  I highly recommend it and his web site.  It really helped me to find some clarity in dealing with my perfectionism.  http://www.eatingthemoment.com/store/ is the website.
   Remember this is a lifestyle not a diet and changing your life takes time and work.  I hope everyone has a great week!  Now off to shower and get ready for church.

Blessings
Teri Stoel
Lap-band 9/12/07
Greg K.
on 9/26/09 3:03 am - Binghamton, NY
That's a great suggestion, Tina, thanks. Yeah, the first few weeks are going to be a challenge for sure. Somehow, I trust myself better with the new stuff, if you know what I mean! It's when it gets to be old hat that has me concerned.

Why that's important now is that I still am at a decision point with surgery... I'm definitely following all the steps necessary to get approved (and spent a bunch of $$, arg) but I really don't want to go through with it until I'm really really sure I see a path for right after... then the honeymoon period... then a year or two out when the rubber hits the road.

I know that's a lot to ask, but I keep having a worrying vision of myself in a few years saying "why did I go through all that." Trying to replace it with positive outcome visions, and I think I'll get there, but I'm a little concerned about it at this point in time!

384  |  328  |  244  |  195
highest  |  surgery day  |  current   |  my goal

RNY (proximal--150cm) 5' 8", 55 years old

tina_stamps
on 9/26/09 12:24 am - New Milford, PA
well, I'm still a newbie but one thing I started doing was using the dry erase board on my fridge to track my water and protein.  Every time I refilled my water I'd write it down, every shake counted as water AND protein.  I was amazed at how close to the goals I actually was....

Then the next day I'd erase it and start all over.  Keeps me on track!

I know that's not exactly what you were looking for, but thought it might help with the daunting first few weeks of the new lifestyle!

Public service announcement: You LOSE weight, you LOSE hair....
Your clothes become
LOOSE... we spend all our LOOSE change on protein supplements...

Greg K.
on 9/25/09 10:17 pm - Binghamton, NY
Topic: Keeping on the path... inspired by Teri's post about journaling
Teri's comments about having a seven-step plan really hit home with me. I'm pre-op, working towards Roux-en-Y with Dr. Mecenas in Ithaca (no date yet)  but I live in Binghamton. Right now, attending the Ithaca support group but I know I'll have issues driving up there when the weather gets bad, so I'm reaching out to WLS folks in the Binghamton area, too. I really believe that having a good support system will be important to my success with this surgery.

Right now, my issue with the surgery is "what happens after the honeymoon period's over?" With RNY surgery, I stand to lose a lot of weight quickly, then taper off somewhere above my goal. I can see myself getting down about keeping with it once all the fireworks have subsided.

So, I was really glad to see Teri's post over on the blog about her seven steps to "start a healthier life." Inspiring! I really need to journal, too. Not sure if I want to do it here on the interwebs for all the world to see... I used to keep a handwritten journal in college and for a while after, and I was helpful to have a private place to write exactly what was on my mind. Then to re-read was very helpful later... even back when my memory was a lot better!! LOL

CALLING ALL POST-OPS: What do YOU do to "keep on the path"? Help us newbies out. What works for you?

384  |  328  |  244  |  195
highest  |  surgery day  |  current   |  my goal

RNY (proximal--150cm) 5' 8", 55 years old