Hair Loss?

Donna I.
on 8/5/07 1:14 pm - Kempner, TX
I knew it could happen but hoped it wouldn't but....I'm losing lots of hair! Anybody else have that problem? I had my surgery on Feb 27th and have lost 86 pounds--started at 247 and now weigh 161. Anybody have any hints to help stop the loss before I go bald? My daughter is getting married in 2 months and I don't want to have to add a wig to the "mother of the bride" ensemble! I don't exercise much and I know I don't drink enough water. I do drink a protein shake (made with hi-protein milk) in the am and have mostly protein to eat (beans, cheese, nuts etc.) throughout the day. I have a low-carb yogurt or sugar free pudding (made with hi-protein milk) in the evening. Tracked my protein for a while on fitday.com and usually hit at least 50 per day.
Diana06
on 8/6/07 7:07 am - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hello Donna let me first tell you what a wonderful job you are doing with your weight loss. My hair has been falling out for the past couple of months and I hate it. I take biotin daily. I have no clue if it is working since my hair is still falling out. But I think I have new hair that is coming in. So we will see. My doctor had told me that I should be consuming at least 70- 90 grams of protein a day. I have noticed if I get in all my protein my hair stops falling out but a day a screw up it starts falling out again. Also I have read that if you divide your weight in half that is the amount of protein that you should be consuming. I weigh in at 175 and when you divide that in half it is 87.5. I should be getting at least 87 grams of protein a day. Hope that helps you some. Diana
ozlady1000
on 8/7/07 6:22 am - Davison, MI
Yep Donna, We are all right there with you! I am losing mine too. Using shampoo and conditioner that plump my hair up; also take vitamin along with my daily called Boitin! You need at least 80 grams of protein daily. Also my six month post I found I was low in a lot of my vitamins; mostly B's and that can cause permenant nerve damage!!! Keep a close watch on your health. Congrats on your progress. And you will be a great looking mom of the bride.. Hugs, Judy R
monicasrevision
on 8/8/07 4:46 am - Houston, TX
Hello Judy interesting your posting regarding permanent nerve damage, I had never heard of this. Related topic: I do want to know from anyone why am I so tired in the afternoon? I take me vitamins (Flinstones) one in the morning one in the afternoon, but what am I missing? granted I live in Houston, where the weather feels like its 105 in the shade and I walk a lot at work. Please if anyone is feeling this let me know. I will be going to my doc soon because I don't like this tiredness and of course he already has a laundry list of blood work I will need to get done.
Tammy A.
on 8/8/07 6:21 am - Maple Grove, MN
I take 3000 of Biotin each day and 2 flax seed caplets a day to help with my hair. I have lost some, but you can't tell and the losing has stopped. Tammy
newbirth2006
on 8/14/07 4:36 pm - Raleigh, NC
Hello Everyone, I had my surgery Feb 10...I have lost 127lbs...along with my hair. It was past my shoulders, but it started to come out in clumps almost...so along with my dmv , I take one in the morning and one at night and I take a hair vit in the middle of the day. Right now I sport a short hair cut..it easy I can put lotta body in it at night and it's wavy in the morning. I 'm not too bumbed about it cause i know it will come back, I just wash and condition, keep it from getting dry, get my protein in ..along with water.
Donna I.
on 8/15/07 1:35 pm - Kempner, TX
WOW....127 lbs! Good for you. I've started taking Biotin and will try to increase my protein to see if that will help with my hair loss.
Roxana W.
on 8/17/07 3:50 am - Houston, TX
Do what I did and just get a nice short haircut...then there's not as much to fall out and you don't notice it as much. Okay, a joke...sort of. But I did end up just getting a short haircut and I don't notice "globs" of hair...just lots of pieces. I used to have long, long hair once so I realize it's a horror to lose part of your anatomy so no mean responses, please! But find a reputable hairdresser and get a cute, sassy haircut until your hair begins to grow out again! Hey...you're thinner! It'll look great!
Dawn414
on 9/26/07 5:24 am - Mount Laurel, NJ
My hair was falling out for a *****ad my surgery on 2/13/07), but I found after I cut my hair to a new style and also began getting in the protein that it stopped. It only lasted a couple months. Good luck!
Debbie K.
on 10/26/13 5:09 am - CA

Congrats on the weight loss. I'm losing mine slowly, too.  I heard it could happen after my sleeve in May of this year.  I see protein needs to be at  70 and will have to increase my intake. Best of luck.enlightened

Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 743 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 764 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 715 views