Emotional Eating

Lenora A.
on 6/24/03 10:25 am - Tallahassee, FL
I had surgery on April 24, 2003 and have lost 35 lbs, which I am happy with so far. I can eat almost anything, which kind of scares me because I am having some problems with portion control. Immediately after the surgery I knew I could only eat tiny amounts, otherwise I would get sick. But as time went by I discovered I could eat a little more and now I am having problems with portion control. And, I am find myself wanting to go back to my old emotional eating patterns of eating when I am bored, tired, depressed, etc. I find myself depressed because I can't eat the way I use to and I am grouchy almost all the time. I am taking my vitamins, tums and B12, but I still am depressed. I am really starting to think I made a bad decision about having the surgery. Does anyone have any suggestions...I am really needing some help here.
Robin I.
on 6/25/03 12:38 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Lenora, don't get depressed!!! Last week I found myself in abad place both emotionallyand financially. things were happening that I could not control, thus I turned to food to find solace. lucky for me, there was nothing in the house bad to eat at all!!! So I went outside with one of my dogs and walked a bit. i also wrote to the list that I was facing this and by putting it down for all the oBlist to see, I was better able to deal with the want, not the need of food. BTW, PLEASE SPEAK TO YOUR DOC OR DIETICAIN ABOUT THE TUMS....tums are not good for us, there are far better quality ways of getting the right kind of calcium. why don't you take a minute here and write what it is that you are eating and perhaps we can help you with better choices? I think I will start a post concerning daily diet. maybe that will be beneficial to many of us. write, lmk how you are doing now, today.... keep that chin up!!! and big hugs to you, we all need them once aday! Robin in Va
Linda P.
on 6/30/03 9:50 am - Park Forest, IL
This is a very big process for us and it takes more than surgery to get us to the other (healthy) side of our life. I had surgery on 4/15/03 and down 44lbs. Listening to others I thought I should have lost more weight by now and I thought I wouldn't have cravings. I'm learning to enjoy eating what I can and sometimes I reward myself with a treat (something I want and can tolerate, good for me or not). I was at the nutritionist last week and as she reviewed my food dairy she critiqued me on eating foods with 'lots of fat'. I told her that I'm only eating 2-3 tbs of rice or pasta and surely that can hurt me as opposed to the large soup bowl of pasta and everything else I was eating prior to surgery. I also reminded her that I had the surgery because I had repeating failed at other weight lost attempts and these habits are not going to go away over night. I didn't create them quickly and they won't leave quickly. Nevertheless Lenora, my goal is to be healthy. I need this surgery to be the tool to help me help myself. I too have briefly wondered if I did the right thing. I quickly realized I have. 44 lbs lighter is making a big difference in my life. I walked up a (1) flight of stairs and was able to carrying on a conversation, did not break out in sweat and did not lose my breath. Be encourage and know that God has not put more on you than you can bear. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time, one bite at time.
melissac
on 7/23/03 6:52 am - Pawtucket, RI
Hi Lenora, I too am going through this same type of thing. I feel like I am addicted to food. I eat when I am bored, when I am depressed, etc. I am not sure how to handle this. I feel like I am eating even when I am not hungry. I had my surgery April 30, 2003 and I can eat just about anything and not get sick. I get that "stuck" feeling but that is about it! I think that I need to train myself to be disciplined. I am going to bring this up to my nutritionist when I see her next week. I never realized my addiction to food until recently. I feel like if it is there then I have to eat it! I try to do things to take my mind off it, but it seems like nothing works. Please let me know if you have found anything that works to change this habit. Feel free to email me at [email protected] Thanks Melissa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Surgery Weight Gain
PA F. · 2 replies · 1108 views
StomaphyX
CFR · 0 replies · 842 views
Alcohol consumption
Bertha A. · 4 replies · 1040 views