7 years today...

charlietuna54
on 4/20/11 10:23 pm - St. Augustine, FL
Today is the 7th anniversary of my surgery. All I can say is WOW…. I began this journey at a high weight of 500lbs and today I vary from 265 to 290. I am 6’-5"; I wore a size 22" – 24" shirt and 60"-62 “ pants. Today I wear a 16 ½ to 17 ½ shirt and a 42" pair of pants. I am off all blood pressure pills and gave up the CPAP machine the day of surgery.      I was recently looking at pictures of myself from 8 -10 years ago and I see a man that gave the appearance of a happy well balanced individual on the outside but on the inside was a miserable individual who had no motivation to go through life.   I hated to go out to eat because I could not fit in the booths and knew everything I ordered was being scrutinized by the waitress and those around me; I would not go to movie theaters as the seats were too narrow for me to fit; I had to drive only certain vehicles as they were the only ones I could fit in; and airplanes, forget it, I was not going to submit myself to the ridicule of getting on a plane. Going to a Doctor, who did not understand this disease, only meant I was going to be told this was all my fault and there was nothing he could do to help me. My family would tell me of all of the adventures they were experiencing and I tried to show how happy I was for them, but inside I wanted to experience the fun, and joy with them. I knew I was cheating them out of having Dad with them.   Then I met a Doctor that introduced me the WLS. He understood the emotions and the physical trauma I was experiencing. He also told me that if I did not do something he would not be surprised if I was not here in 5 years. I began to research all of the options and after 2 years of research decided the DS was best for me. I researched and decided on the surgeon who would change my life. And change, it did.   Today I have the life I dreamed about 7 years ago. My wife and I go on trips all over the United States. In fact we recently flew to NYC for a week where we walked almost all day everyday. I would never have seen NYC if not for the DS. I have 3 great children and this past year I was blessed with my first Granddaughter. If it had not been for the DS I would have never met her. I look forward to getting out of bed each day and seeing what today is going to offer. I know if I had not had this life changing surgery I would not be able to experience the day so, I do not take any day for granted. They are all a gift.   This is a horrible disease and only those suffering from this disease can understand just how bad it is. I made a commitment that I would never forget how my life use to be and I would always be available to help others suffering in silence with this disease. There are times when I just want to go sit down with someone I see at the mall and tell them there is help for there situation, but then I think about how I would have felt if that had happened to me. I still lurk around on this site 3 or 4 times a month but I seldom post. If anyone has any questions, or there is some way I can help in your decision process, please contact me.   To anyone that is considering this I suggest you don’t take anyone else’s opinion or research, but instead do your own, get comfortable with your decision, and then never look back. I pray it will be as great of a decision for you as it was for me. Be Blessed.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 471 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 727 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 670 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 745 views