Looking for advice

anchovie62
on 4/26/08 3:21 pm
I am having wls in september, but the problems i have read in this forum has scared me. I am having the RNY, should I change and have the band instead? Any advice is appreciated.
(deactivated member)
on 4/26/08 11:46 pm
Happy w/ my choice but you have to make the decision
healthy2008
on 4/27/08 11:09 am - NV
I was originally going to have the band, but have changed my mind and am going to have rny. Longterm, according to research, there are less complications.
anchovie62
on 4/27/08 2:26 pm
Were did you get the research on the rny having less complications.
healthy2008
on 4/28/08 12:37 pm - NV
I believe it was from a website from a Bariatric surgeon in Idaho. I could try to find the paper, but it may take me awhile because I am preparing for finals for nursing school. I typed in google, "lap band vs. gastric bypass" and found a lot of info. I also have a friend who just had rny and her doctor told her that initially (the first 3 months) there can be more complications with rny, but longterm there are more complications with the band because of slippage and I think other reasons. Sorry, this post doesn't seem very scientifically backed, but I did research it. you should definitely research it more too. Don't depend on what I say. My biggest question in making this decision for myself is what are the long, long term results of those who have rny. 20+ years down the road as far as nutrient absorption, electrolyte imbalance. If anyone knows about this I would be interested. I'm pretty confident that in the short term 10-20 years it is positive, but I'm wondering how this will effect me when I'm post surgery a lot of years.
Lisalu
on 5/3/08 1:33 pm
I just had RNY 4 days ago. I had also done research on both and I finally decided to go with the doctor I felt the most comfortable with. He, though did not do lapband and explain in extensive details why he never would. So, that really "made" my choice for me. While in recovery I had a sweet nurse who came to talk to me a lot (proably said more than she should) and she was getting RNY in a few months. She said she was on the fence about which one to do, but after working on the Bariatric unit, she said she saw way more patients come in for problems/reversals/etc. for Lap Band than RNY and she was convinced to go RNY. I am not a "Pro-RNY" or anything I just wanted to tell you the experience I had with her. I really felt a lot better with my decision after talking with her. But, the choice is personal and I think whatever anyone decides to do that can change their life for the good, is a great thing!! Hope that helps! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1011 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 737 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 945 views