I am Hungary! What if it didn't work for me?

peachitas
on 4/28/08 11:19 am - Vancouver, WA
Hi everyone. I had my surgery RNY on 4/15. It went well fast atually, but then i had emergency surgery within a few hours because of a bleed. I had two major surgeries within 8 hours and it was nightmarish. Well i was in the icu for 3 days and then in the reg hosp room for 2 more. I am getting better everyday and don't have much pain at all now. My problem is that I still feel like I am hungary. I am really trying to follow the rules of the post op diet, but I think I have cheated a bit. For example, I can eat a whole cup of lentil soup (not pureed). I seem to be able to eat a cup of stuff without anypain. Is this normal? I had malto-meal for breakfast. Is that ok? I am supposed to doing 2 weeks of pureed foods but the thought of it makes me gag. I haven't had any nausea problems with anything that i hve had. I dont feel like I get full. I stop myself at a cup but it just seems like i could eat more. I do feel satisfied somewhat when I have lentil soup for example but I seem to be hungary a couple hours later. I don't know if I am confused or what? Anyone have any similar stories or some advice on what is ok to eat?
SJOFlamingo
on 4/28/08 10:48 pm
Hi Lisa, I'm Sandy from NY and I had RNY on 4/22. So sorry for your complications, but glad that things are looking up for you now! I'm still feeling hungry too! I have my 1st post-op visit today, so I'll ask about it but I had the same thought as you - what if my pouch is too big or something. I've been on liquids and pudding/yogurt only so far and have been following it without "cheating" at all because I'm petrified of screwing something up, but I still feel hungry most of the time. I do think from the education that I was given that it's okay to feel hungry and eat small amounts every few hours b/c the pouch is so much smaller. I too have been stoping myself at 1/2 to 1 cup of shake, pudding, yogurt, etc - have not felt too full or sick but I have not pushed it. Somewhere once I read that it takes 21 days to form a habit, so maybe it will take 21 days not to feel hungry too??!!
ErieShirl
on 4/30/08 11:55 pm - Yorkville, IL
Hi Lisa! My RNY was 4/14. My diet consists of 3 meals of up to 4 tablespoons of pureed foods and 3 "snacks" of 4 ounces of protien beverage. Other than that I drink only water. My surgeon and dietician insist that you can never have more than 1/2 cup food at one time for the rest of your life. Also, it takes me 10 minutes to eat every ounce of food. I'm never really full, but I'm not starving hungry. I'm actually most full from my vitamins! If you'd like, I can type in my sample diet. Shirlyn
AMT
on 5/1/08 9:34 am
Hi Shirlyn! I would like a copy of your diet. Thanks Anita
Most Active
Recent Topics
4 Years Post Op
nascar24n48 · 6 replies · 1011 views
2 yrs ago today
Mary C. · 0 replies · 737 views
2 yr surgiversary!
Mary C. · 1 replies · 945 views