One Year Reflections

Mr. Jim P.
on 7/11/07 12:16 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I recently had my one year RNY surgery anniversary (July 5th). I have managed to drop 191 pounds and countless inches. I thought I would post some reflections on the state of my life now on the other side. - I enjoy peoples' reaction that haven't seen me since the surgery. - The "X-Mart" stores are a lot cheaper than Big & Tall stores. - My self-confidence has skyrocketed. - Having almost died during my first attempt at this surgery, my general outlook has changed. It is amazing how much perspective you gain when you dance with the reaper. - I have saved a lot of money over the last year. First, I don't pay as much for food. Second, I can drive a Ford Aspire to work instead of having to drive my SUV. With gas prices the way they are, that is a VERY good thing. - I was able to majorly reduce my credit card debt with all of the extra money I am saving. - I have a lot more time. I don't sleep as much as I used to, and I don't spend as much time preparing and eating food. Of course, I've used up all of that extra time by going back to school. Eight months and I'll be done. - My hair texture has changed. It used to be completely straight, but now it has a tendency to get wavy. I've also started going gray a lot quicker, but for men, looking older means more money. - My taste preferences have changed. My favorite foods pre-op were steak, peirogies, and pizza. Now, it is sushi, crab, and hotdogs. Hey, not all changes are always for the best. ;) - What I prefer to drink has also changed. I used to drink only Diet Pepsi. Now, I temper my Diet Pepsi drinking with black coffee during the day, and an occasional light beer at night. I still can't drink plain water. Blech. On the subject of black coffee, I've found that it absolutely kills any sugar cravings I might have. - I used to be able to drink two beers and feel a slight buzz. Now, thanks to the immediate absorption of alcohol by my system, two beers will knock me on my butt. Three will have me with a lamp shade on my head with a karaoke mic in hand. - Watashi wa Nihongo ga benkyo ****ema****a. - When I walk into a room, I am almost never the fattest person there anymore. - Women talk to me more, and it is no longer out of pity. - I no longer get as upset at things as I used to. Like when some idiot scoffs at me for completing my schooling at Strayer University, or someone rants about global warming, or someone who is more overweight than I am tries to give me unsolicited advice about how to live after Gastric Bypass Surgery, or someone says my church isn't a real church, I just kind of smirk in amusement. - When I go past a mirror, I no longer cringe and curse myself for being fat. Instead, I think to myself "Oh yeah!!!" - I can now laugh at all of the misinformation out there about Gastric Bypass Surgery. Like the myth that "people who get GBS will live only ten more years and then DIE!!!" Spare me. - I'll usually take the stairs instead of the elevator. - Joint and back pain are a distant memory. - My favorite activities have changed. They used to be cooking, eating, watching TV, and playing computer games. Now, they are biking, hiking, swimming, and playing computer games. Well, some things never change. - I've starting thinking more about the future, since it looks like I will be around for a long time. - When ordering at a restaurant, I no longer look for the item with the most food. Instead, I look for the item that will taste the best. "How many shrimp come with the shrimp scampi appetizer? Five? Yeah, that sounds filling." - My dogs have also lost weight since I've been taking them with me on walks. This helps them overcome the extra calories they've been taking in as their technical designation has become "biological food leftover disposal units." - The only thing I wish were different is I wish my appetite had diminished. All in all, this was one of the best decisions I ever made. I still have a ways to go, but I'm not worried. The weight will come off. I just have to avoid sugar so as to keep those insulin spikes at bay. Unfortunately, I can eat as much sugar as I want and I will not dump. But fortunately, as I said previously, black coffee is my ally in this battle!
debg
on 7/17/07 10:56 am - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
Mr. Jim - Just wanted to say thanks for sharing (in the sincere way!) - in the past year i have dropped 160+ and many of the things you observe ring true for me too! Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 918 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1012 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 955 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1046 views