How much protein (oz) are you able to get in 5 days post op??

xpydawn
on 9/6/09 8:45 am
Im having a hard time with this and I was wondering if I am alone on this.....

FrancineG
on 9/6/09 11:33 am - Wilmington, CA
I had a hard time the first couple of days. This morning @ 7am, I decided to start drinking 4 oz of Isopure every hour. I finished my 1st bottle by 1pm. It's 6:20pm my time and I'm half way through my second bottle. I figure I'll be done with it by 9 or 10pm. I'm having a harder time with the water. I'm suppose to drink 80 grams of protein and 48 oz of water a day. I've barely finished 1 16 oz bottle. I just got out of the hospital yesterday so maybe it will get easier as my insides heal.
Make a schedule for yourself and see if it helps. You are not alone in this struggle. That's what makes this website so great!
(deactivated member)
on 9/7/09 7:32 am
I'm 5 days out and only about 20-25 grams of protein/day at this point. Doing well on water, though. Focusing on liquids. Period.
Brandi M.
on 9/9/09 6:47 am - Baltimore, MD
 I'm 8 days post-op and I'm struggling to get all the protein it. My doc stresses that this early out that it's more important to get in liquids so we don't dehydrate. Have you tried the protein bullets? Walmart carries them and their less than 3 oz. of liquid and pack 20 grams of protein. They taste like snowball syrup so they go down pretty easy too. Today has been better, I've gotten more in today so far, so it feels like it will get easier.
(deactivated member)
on 9/23/09 12:57 pm - Ormond Beach, FL
That is a great idea- the protein bullets.  I am 7 days out and cannot tolerate the protein shakes at all.  All I am getting protein from is the yogurt at this point.  Although now I am cleared to start puree' I will hopefully be able to get in some more protein now and ditch the shakes altogether!  I found out that we can eat refried beans with ff cheese for a puree meal and that must pack a lot of protein since beans and dairy are good protein sources.  Anyone tried this idea yet?  I am scared at this point to try anything new.  But I've lost 11 pds so I'm happy. 
xpydawn
on 9/24/09 1:52 am, edited 9/24/09 1:53 am
My doc told me to stay away from the bullets because they are collagen based and we dont absorb the protein. So I am now gwtting in about 50-6- grams of protein through the yucky shakes :( but he still wants me up to 70 grrrrrrr.
I am not cleared for puree food for another 3 weeks :(
I also am still having a hard time with all the fluids, I am supposed to take in a total of 64 oz of fluid a day I get about 50.
I will try to stick to a schedule, thanks everyone for all the ideas :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone do the 5 day pouch test?
itallica · 1 replies · 941 views
Progress
kearstyn · 12 replies · 1237 views
Calling all September 2009 peeps
Papoose79 · 18 replies · 1793 views