Pre-surgery jitters

Eeriana
on 9/16/07 12:28 am - WA
Hi...I am to have the lapband on Oct 10 with Dr. Srikanth at St. Francis. I am excited as I have seen the results in several friends and acquaintances. My biggest concern though is I am required to do a 10 day clear liquid diet prior to surgery. How can I handle that as I tend to get hypoglycemic if I don't eat? And working full-time.. omigosh! Once the hypoglycemic episode hits, it seems my body takes over and eats everything that isn't nailed down until it is satisfied. It's like I have no control whatsoever. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often at all...but I'm concerned with a TEN DAY clear liquid requirement. Truly it scares me and I wonder how the rest of you have handled it? I need reassurance that it is possible without messing up. Thanks for any advice you can give. Kathleen
Joy_72
on 9/16/07 2:39 am - Ridgeway, VA
Hi Kathleen! Congrats to you on your date. I can understand why you are concerned about hypoglycemic episodes. I have had that happen to me a f ew times..It's very scarey....I had mine drop as low as 41 while I was out shopping one day. I'm still pre-op. I have seen this question come up on the MAIN forum. I'm not sure what to tell you. I suggest maybe that you re-post your question on the Main board. Lots more people read/see that and you will probrably get a much better response. Good luck to you on the 10th!
Amhappier
on 9/16/07 5:19 am
Hi Kathleen, I had done a bit of research on this and maybe you can talk to your doctor. Other doctors have patients go on the Atkins diet for 1 month and the clear liquids comes 2 days before surgery. The reason for this is to shrink the liver and get out the excess "fat" from sugar and carbs. This enables them to lift it more easily to see what they are doing and prevent damage to the liver. The clear liquid diet will shrink the stomach and get it ready for the banding and you ready for liquids for afterwards. The banding has to have a bit of time to heal as to avoid slipping when you do finally get to eat solid foods. Anyway, if your doctor agreed to this, you would probably have to reschedule your operation. If you are like me, you probably want to get it done as quickly as possible. Also, talk to your doctor about adding liquid protein to your diet for these 10 days. That may help with your problem. I have to add protein shakes with 100% whey 10 days before surgery. This is with either the Atkins protein shakes or HealthWise Protein Supplement. You have to have 60 grams per day. This is done after surgery as well but you have to sip it throughout the day to get it all in. I wish you luck!
SallyRhodes
on 9/19/07 12:36 pm - Fullerton, CA
Hey, I have hypogly. tendencies too -- didn't even THINK of this as an issue. Oh boy...I feel like there are so many things to consider. I will know my surgery date by next Thursday for this October & I am just itchin' to get this thing underway....so exciting! Glad to see that other people share similar concerns/issues...I think I will start Atty-kins (as I like to call it to make it "seem" friendlier) in a week to shrink that durn liver. Eew. Good luck to you guys...
sorida11
on 9/20/07 12:08 pm
Hey! well unfortunately i cannot offer you any advice because my surgery date is the same as yours! but this is one thing i'm also concerned about. one thing i just keep remembering is that if i can control myself for the 12 days i need to do this "diet" it will make my surgery safer, which means more to me then food. I also work (and go to school full time) so i know it's easier said then done, but i'll just remember i'm thinking long term, and i hope you do too! good luck and feel free to email me! congrats on your dates!
Eeriana
on 9/20/07 12:42 pm - WA
Thanks everyone for all your responses. This is such a big deal for all of us. I wish all of you the best and look forward to seeing after pix
Most Active
Recent Topics
6+ years out...
Amg563 · 2 replies · 868 views
6 years Post Op
girlsmile45 · 0 replies · 874 views
5 Years!!!
Kathie L. · 4 replies · 1492 views
My Date
canadianlady · 0 replies · 1007 views
4 year anniversary!!!
MzRaina · 1 replies · 1064 views