intestinal problems

commlord
on 1/31/06 2:29 am - Heaven, NC
Has anyone else had any problems like diverticulitis? I have been having a LOT of problems in the past two weeks with stomach pain and no bowel movements for days at a time. My family doc thinks its diverticulitis and has proscribed some antibiotics but that hasnt really helped. anyone else with this problem?
SGRenteria
on 2/1/06 3:17 am - Roswell, NM
I have had some severe gas and even some chest pain because of it. It was resolved with antacid/antigas OTC's, but I went to see my PCP and he gave me an Rx for aciphex. I have also started taking beano because of the high fiber diet that we eat and my doc said that was fine. No constipation, and no stomach pain. I guess we are ruling out GERD and then gall bladder problems. Hope you improve.
Dru B.
on 2/5/06 10:10 am - Deltona, FL
Hi Joe! Yes!!! I went to the gastrointologist, and he prescribed Zelnorm for irritable bowel syndrome and ordered a CT scan of my abdomin to rule out diverticulitis, colon cancer, and left over gall stones in my bile duct (I had my gallbladder removed a couple months ago). I will be getting the CT scan sometime this week. Keep me updated on what you find out, and I will in return. It's miserable!!! Take care, Dru
Butterfly Reborn
on 2/25/06 1:30 pm
Dru, Did they find anything on your CT scan? I've had abdominal issues since the age of 15. I've suffered from ulcerative colitis, divertiticulitis, polyps, and IBS. There was hope that I would feel better after WLS and I did for a time. I had to have my gallbladder removed 5 weeks after my RNY. After that was corrected, I was feeling very good abdominally (the best in a long while). Then, BOOM, I was miserable. I had relocated to Houston, TX and the doctors here freaked out on me b/c I am an RNYer. They put me in the hospital and ran every test they could. Blood tests, cultures, endoscopy, CT Scan, MRI (with and without contrast), and a coloscopy. Guess what they found? NOTHING! I've had some anti-spasmotic medication and it has helped some with the pain. My Gastro Dr. told me I could have OSD (type III). There are only two doctors in the USA who could get to the gallbladder ducts to even see if I'm having pressure problems. One is here in Houston but the statistics of finding the problem and correcting turn out to be (if I remember correctly) only 20%. I'm not sure I'm willing to go there for a 20% chance. The one thing that consistently causes me abdominal distress is STRESS. And, it can take a while to manifest itself. By the time it becomes symptomatic, it appears that the stressful period is actually over. Of course, then, I become stressed over the pain. OK, that's really not funny. However, I did sustain a great amount of stress (trauma) from Hurricane Katrina and our subsequent forced relocation to Houston. My Gastro Dr. here told me that he sees patients "all the time" that have "had THE surgery" and they "suffer from CHRONIC abdominal pain for which we can never find a cause." Huh? I do not recall my WLS ever telling me that was a risk!?!?! I sent my WL surgeon ALL of my test results and reports. Supposedly, the nurse with whom I spoke, was putting my chart on his desk so he could call me. I've NEVER heard from him. So, this is why I'm wondering if they found anything and what has happened since!?!?! Best, Vanessa
Dru B.
on 2/25/06 10:21 pm - Deltona, FL
Hi Vanessa, Thanks for the email/response. I never went and had the CT scan because deep down I know they won't find anything, so why spend the $. I too was having some problems prior to having my gallbladder removed and then felt GREAT after it was removed. About 2 months post gall bladder removal, stomach pain, cramping, diarrhea, and constipation kicked in with avengence. I feel the worst in the mornings after my 1st meal and then I'm usually OK by the afternoon. Since having the RNY I have had several unexplained illnesses ie: hives, severe joint pain, fibromyalgia, and now the stomach woes (all of which I never experienced prior to surgery). So, go figure. I too just wish I could get some answers. But, on a positive note at least I'm skinny No seriously, I'm free of diabetes, high blood pressure, severe plantar faciitis ect. ect... I too have been under some stress with work (possible layoffs), so I figure I will wait until that has passed and then make a decision on whether or not to get the CT scan. As for you, you've been under tremendous stress...Your whole life has been turned upside down since Katrina. My heart goes out to you and your family. Has the Dr. treated you with anything for IBS? The Zelnorm has given me some relief. Anyway, keep me updated on how you are doing, and I will keep you informed of anything I discover along the way. I'm experimenting with a couple supplements recommended by my psychiatrist, so I'll let you know if anything helps. Best of luck to you, and God bless. Hugs Dru
Most Active
Recent Topics
Helloooooooooo out there!
Sphinxy · 1 replies · 809 views
where is everyone?
Moma V. · 4 replies · 1021 views
New Year coming....back on track!
Patti N · 1 replies · 856 views
Help
Jan M. · 7 replies · 1163 views
Iron deficieny
Dru B. · 4 replies · 973 views