NOv 7 in Cleveland - nervous

martinoa
on 10/14/07 8:54 am - North Olmsted, OH
Cant wait for my upcoming surgery ( RNY) has anyone been under the knife before can u tell me what to expect, since ive never had surgery before or have had to stay in the hospital. IM very nervous about the anesthesia.
John W.
on 10/14/07 11:20 am - Near Topeka, KS
Angel, I had the surgery about 4.5 months ago and it was not as bad as I made it out to be in my mind. You will arrive at the hospital several hours before and have to get preped and ready. They will ask a bunch of questions and likely offer you some relaxation medication. I was pretty much at ease that morning so I said no thanks. Then they came in and gave me a med and said to say bye to the family. The med was already working so it was HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY goodbye. The first hour after will be the most uncomfortable. If you have ever fainted before, when you first wake up is the best way I can explain what I experience. You will want to get up and walk as much as you can. I walked 60 laps in the 2 days I was there; that was about 6 miles. I actually felt the very best when I was walking around. You have to urinate in the first day, so that can be a challenge. I tried for over an hour, but the more I concentrated, the more I couldn't. Finally, as I was frustrated, I looked out the window and could see a traffic light off in the distance. It turned green, and at that moment I began to go, as if by magic. I was out in two days with two overnights. The pain meds I was on could only be taken every 6 hours. I really started to notice more pain after the 5 hour mark. Pain treatment is so different from doctor to doctor that you may have a very different experience. Then I went home and lived happily ever after...ok...so life still happens, but it is so much better that I would trade nothing I've been through in the past year. The best thing I can say is to savor the moment and enjoy this part of the ride. Don't be nervous...even if that seems hard to do. I was pretty much at peace with it, but some get a bit worked up. This is a special time that most look back on with favorable memories. Also, do not expect the first month to be a picnic. I think that most would say that you have to get into your 2nd month before you really are glad you took the plunge. That first month is a bit boring with foods and it seems like it lasts forever. In reality, it is a short time and you snap your fingers and it is over. I hope this helps. John
kathy S.
on 10/14/07 1:57 pm - Pensacola, FL
Angel we are surgery sisters. I have mine the same day!
Most Active
Recent Topics