An encouraging post about pre-op weight loss

Maida F.
on 10/17/07 8:08 am - Round Rock, TX
RNY on 11/12/07 with
Weight loss before bariatric surgery reduces hospital stay Last Updated: 2007-10-16 15:21:24 -0400 (Reuters Health) NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Morbidly obese patients who lose 5% to 10% of their excess body weight prior to gastric bypass surgery can significantly reduce their length of hospital stay and hasten postoperative weight loss, new research shows. The findings, which appear in the Archives of Surgery for October, are based on a study of 884 patients who underwent open or laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery at the Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, Pennsylvania between May 31, 2002 and February 24, 2006. Prior to surgery, all of the subjects participated in a multidisciplinary program involving various medical, surgical, psychological, and nutritional interventions and education. They were advised to lose 10% of their excess body weight prior to surgery. Forty-eight percent of patients dropped at least 10% of their excess weight preoperatively, lead author Dr. Christopher D. Still and colleagues report. During a mean follow-up period of 12 months, patients who lost 10% or more of their excess body weight before surgery were significantly more likely than others to achieve 70% excess body weight loss (p < 0.001), the report indicates. However, the findings indicate that even lower amounts of preoperative weight loss were beneficial. Losing more than 5% of excess weight before surgery reduced the likelihood of a hospital stay lasting longer than 4 days (p = 0.03). The authors believe that preoperative weight loss led to certain physiologic changes that reduced surgical complications and thereby decreased the length of hospital stay. As bariatric surgery becomes the "mainstay" of treatment for the morbidly obese, weight loss prior to surgery "may have significant clinical impact." "Further studies to extend these results and to evaluate the effects of preoperative weight loss on specific surgical outcomes as well as its correlation with long-term weight loss are ongoing," the researchers conclude. Arch Surg 2007;142:994-998.
ItsAllAboutMe
on 10/17/07 1:12 pm - Dallas Suburb, TX
Too bad the article didn't expound upon the "certain physiologic" changes we're after here. It's all about shrinking the liver. That big ole thing is sitting right above the stomach where they have to do all the work. The smaller it is, the easier it is to work around. That means shorter time under anesthesia which means less chance of complications. I'm about 18 pounds down which isn't my complete goal of 30, but I've still got a ways to go yet. Not to mention the bowel clean out. (Oh joy!) But we gotta do it! It's for our own good. No cheatin now... ;)
Maida F.
on 10/17/07 2:50 pm - Round Rock, TX
RNY on 11/12/07 with
I would not put myself and my family through all of this if I was concerned that I might cheat. I'm down 15, but am aiming for another 10, prior to surgery, particularly with the 2 weeks pre-op diet. It's not 10%, but it's something.
Most Active
Recent Topics