WLS and effects on fertility????

angelle
on 1/29/07 5:07 am - St.albert, Canada
WOW, I can honestly say that no one ever told me how hard it would be to really eat so drastically different, sure I knew going into this that it was gonna be hard and that things were really gonna change but this is scary I feel that my infant nephew eats more than I do now......But I guess there is only one thing that bothers me now, MY question to all you women out there is how will this affect my chances of getting pregnant and carrying a baby, could it cause problems?? It scares me now because my husband and I are talking about having a child in a few years... Any one with some suggestions would be a great help please email me @ [email protected] thank you All.
roli0725
on 2/8/07 1:06 pm - Canada
Hi: I had WLS in Sept/06. but 15 yrs ago I had stomach stapling and 1 1/2 years later I got pregnant. Though I could not eat very much I still gained 35lbs and had a healthy baby 7lbs6oz. With the stapling your food still gets absorbed but with gastric bypass your system doesn't absorb as much. So depending on which one you had probably makes a difference. To me as long as you eat very healthy and take supplements and are followed closely by a dr. you should do just fine. By the way I lost those 35lbs within three weeks. I gained all my weight back 5yrs after having the baby due to old habits and medication. I found out that stapling of the stomach isn't successful in the long term. That is why I opted for the bypass. I feel wonderful and have lost 70lbs. Lori
glenda75
on 3/21/07 9:40 am - didsbury, Canada
HI there, I had a vbg in 1999. I have had three kids now in the last 4 yrs. fertility is fine. But weight gain was horendous. I have gained all my weight back plus 13lbs. I wish I had something else to say. I guess basically for fertility, make sure you are taking all your vitamins, lots of folic acid, try to stay fit and lots of baby dancing! ;-)
reneikoh
on 5/7/07 8:26 am - Canada
Hi Pamela, I had my surgery on October 16, 2007. It is now May 2007, and I found out that I am six weeks pregnant. My doctor informed me that I will still be able to continue doing exercise. I can do 30 min of cardio a day, at five days a week. I can continue to do some light weights and sit ups or crunches. I can continue to take my vitamins, just not my multi vitamin because it has vitamin A which is not good for baby. So far so good. Hope this is helpful, definitely talk to your physician. Renee Higa
Most Active