Ive decided..i need your help tho

Leighmo
on 3/24/07 5:37 pm - Calgary, Canada
I really think im a candidate for gastric bypass surgery but im not sure where to begin. I live in Calgary..and dont have a family doctor..any advice? Leigh
BJH
on 3/29/07 1:01 am - Canada
Hi Leigh, I live in Airdrie, and have also been thinking about gastric bypass surgery. One thing I have noticed is that they don't make it easy for the patient. It seems like a long waiting time. Anyway, i went to my family doctor, she refered me to Dr. Estifanos Debru here in Calgary, but must attend the Weight wise clinic first, well that was in Jan. and haven't heard a thing yet. There is Dr. Farries in Red Deer, have heard he has a shorter waiting time, But must have your Dr. call him on May 1st only. That is when he accepts new patients only. Seems a little strange to me but. what can you do. So I think that you would need a family Dr. or someone at a walk in clinic that you have seen often. But these surgeons usually go by referalls only. Hope this helps, I am also new to this and am already frustrated. Bye for now BJ
Carolyn W.
on 4/4/07 12:57 pm - Edmonton, Canada
Some other docs to consider are Dr. Davey and Dr. Birch at the Royal Alex in Edmonton. They do laprascopic RNY and the gastric band surgery. The wait times are long though. You need a referral and can get the form on the capital health website. Another doc is Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat. He does the RNY - still open procedure as far as I know. I'm a patient of Dr. Birch/Davey - almost a year out now. Feel free to ask me any questions you'd like I'll tell you what I know. Carolyn
Melanie H.
on 5/25/07 2:35 pm - London, Canada
Something else you might consider is getting it done out of country. I live in Ontario and OHIP paid for me to have my surgery in Detroit Michigan. I know it is the same in Alberta if the wait time is too long they will pay for you to have it done in the states. The wait time is very short that way and it is still covered by the provincial medical funds. Check it out. Melanie
Most Active