Dr. Nohr - how soon after consult?

mani_heart
on 3/23/11 2:57 pm
RNY on 03/18/13
I have my consult appt with Dr. Nohr in April, how soon does a surgery date come after the initial consult date?

Such mixed feelings!
mani_heart
on 3/23/11 3:27 pm
RNY on 03/18/13
Maybe I should have asked...  What happens at the first consult and how many ppl do I have to see?  lol  I will see a dietician first in the morning and then Dr. Nohr in the afternoon.
Tina C.
on 3/23/11 5:41 pm - Moose Jaw, Canada
You will meet with the dietician in the morning for a couple of hours and then go to your appt with Dr Nohr that afternoon and they will book your surgery date for you then. Open RNY books sooner than Lap. When I booked last May they gave me a surgery date of Jan 26th, 2012. WIth more ER time and cancellations my surgery took place Jan 31st of this year. Good luck with the consultation :) 
Used2Bthin
on 3/23/11 8:49 pm - Canada

As of last Semptember the wait list was 2 years for open 3 years for lap.  Now I went Sept of 2010 and my surgery was booked for Sept 2012.  I put my self on the wait list and I was called to go in for surgery on Monday so I cut 1.5 years off the wait. Good luck.

Gizzys
on 3/24/11 12:47 am - Canada
Hi,

In the morning you attend a session with the dietician in a class-like setting at the Medicine Hat hospital.  Then in the afternoon you will meet with Dr. Nohr at his office for a consult.  You will get a surgery date at the end of this appointment.  Come to the consult with a list of questions to ask.

I had my consult with Dr. Nohr in April 2010.  I left that appointment with a date of December 2012.  I am going the lap route.  I am on the cancellation list and praying that I get a phone call moving my date up.  No luck yet.  So I am using the time to get as informed as possible so I can have the most success afterwards.  The wait is long though and the body is aching more each day.

I think the best way to go into this is expect a 2-3 year wait but know it could be less.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

MelissaC71
on 3/24/11 6:40 am
 My consult date was in JUne of 2010. I was given a surgery date of April 12, 2012. I was a lap candidate but opted for open to shave the year off. I was also put on the cancellation list. I called monthly for updates. Nothing was moving, but going backwards. Then Dr. Nohr got more OR times, and I got a slot on January 17, 2011. So I guess it depends. If you opt for lap it takes longer, open get's in sooner. He also does more open than Laps. I don't believe he does surgeries in the summer, or at least that's what I was told by the receptionist last year. So you need to factor that in as well. All in all, The 3 year wait for the consult was the longest wait.
mani_heart
on 3/24/11 7:17 am
RNY on 03/18/13
Oh wow - I new the intial consult was pretty much a 3 year waiting time but didn't think the surgery was as well. 

I was initially scheduled May 2012 for my initial consult and had to call to check to see if they had my new address as I moved and she asked if I wanted to be on the cancellation list so of course I went for that and then she says "Oh wait, we have an opening for April 2011".  AWESOME!  I cut off a year for my first consultation so guess I should count myself lucky for that. 
Gizzys
on 3/25/11 12:34 am - Canada
My referral from my doctor went in to Dr. Nohr late summer of 2009. It was also to be a 2 year wait at that time to get the consult. But it seems if you are on the consult cancellation list, it's likely you will get a call to come in earlier.  My consult ended up being 8 months later in April 2010.

I wonder if by having lap I have made my wait longer, even with the extra OR times Dr. Nohr has now.  Maybe I should have went open.  The only reason I decided to go the lap route was because it was less invasive.  I couldn't care less about the scars.

My understanding is that Dr. Nohr does not do surgeries through the summer as well.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

mani_heart
on 3/25/11 1:14 am
RNY on 03/18/13
Thanks ladies for your info - good to know what to expect.  Better do a little extra research on the open or lap. 
Lindsayc
on 3/25/11 6:24 am - Medicine Hat, Canada
I had open with Dr Nohr this past January and I'm open to answering any questions you might have. When I was in hospital I met the person who had the LAP on the same day, his recovery was much quicker and he didn't have all the tubes I did but that is about all I know about LAP.

Feel free to message me if you want.

Good luck on your surgery and wait time.

By the way, my consult wait was 2 years and my surgery was 1 year. But I was not on a cancellation list either.

Most Active