Support from significant other

Speedtrap
on 11/21/11 12:45 am - Canada
VSG on 11/09/12

So it has been about a month and a half since I started my weight loss journey.

Everything has been going smooth so far; I have been going to the weight wise classes and wearing my pedometer, meeting with my nutritionist and even started walking more.

And it is working; I am down 10 lbs from my peak weight. 

The only part I am having trouble with is my significant other, I just am not getting the support I need from her.  She has chosen to do weigh****chers (Online) and that is great, but she comments on things I eat and tells me how bad they are for me.  As an example, on the weekend I made French Fries, I made one serving (85g) for me and one serving for my daughter.  I did not eat too much I did not add salt, I had one serving.  I recorded it and that was enough to curb a craving.  She proceeded to tell me how bad it was and I should not be eating that if I am on a diet.  I try to tell her I am not on a diet, I am just making healthier choices like limiting intake to proper serving sizes.

So I guess my question is how do you deal with your partners?  I have found if I try to share what I am learning; she gets upset and tells me “That just will not work for me".  Does anyone who has been there have any suggestions on how to communicate more effectively without causing confrontation? 

Keelan
on 11/21/11 9:49 am
Each and every one of us have a different story to our journey.  But I can relate a little to your story. I have been doing weigh****cher for about 1/2 my life and so I know that it's not a diet plan but a way to learn healthy eating  and there are no foods off limit in that program. 
So big deal you made french fries, who said you can't eat them or will never eat them again, the fact of the matter is that you made and ate one serving and not a whole bag like you probably would have before. I think that takes motivation and courage cause it's hard to crave something and not over eat when you have the chance to have it.
My spouse wasn't 100 % convinced that I was making the right choice when I decided to have surgery and so I was firm but he understood when I said that I needed to put me first for once and that I respect his opinion but I had to do this for me so that I could be here long for him.
I close my mind off to all negative comments and at first would get disappointment is someone made a comment about my weight loss or said things like you'll never stick to it or keep it off. Mind you there are very few people in my life that know I had the surgery done and I don't care to share something that personal with people who only try to demean my efforts.
Don't be upset with her cause honestly what works for one really honestly doesn't work for another and that even goes for after surgery. She may be feeling a little insecure and that comes with the territory of weight loss. Be honest, sit her down and tell her how you feel, explain it in such a way that it doesn't start an argument but gets your point across in the end. Tell her that she is one of the reason you have decided to make this change as well as your daughter. Ask her straight out to be supportive as well you need to support her in he weight loss efforts.

Good Luck and don't give up. There are lots of us on this OH forum who are here to support and encourage. Chin Up.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

sheilapinkney
on 11/21/11 11:37 pm - Calgary, Canada

I am sorry you are having an issue with your SO.  I think it is hard to make the necessary changes when that person is not willing to support your decision. 

In my life, my husband has decided for himself not to participate in weight loss.  And at times he will want foods that I can not eat.  I tell him to go ahead and eat what you want but don't expect me to eat it with you.  I told my husband that my decision to go ahead and have a WLS was made by me, for me and had nothing to do with his eating habits.  I HAD to get healthy with or without out him. 

And as for her critizing your food choices, if she feels she what you are doing will not work for her, tell her that it does work for you and you will continue on the way you feel is best for you.   Do what you feel you have to in order to be successful.  Only you can correct your eating habits and lose weight, no one can do it for you.  If she continues to critize you, tell her how it makes you feel, that you appreciate her trying to help but it is more hurting you than helping and ask her to keep her more negative opinions to herself. 

Good luck with your journey.  We are here to support and help you along the way.

Sheila

Surgery: July 27  Surgery Weight: 245   Current Weight: 137 Total weight lost: 1112lbs
   AT GOAL!  WOOHOO!!!    

newmom35
on 11/22/11 6:57 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
Ditto to Keelan's and Sheila's post. They pretty much said it all. I'm kind of in the same boat too. I just remind myself of my goal and how im doing this for me. Definately have a heart to heart with the SO.
Good Luck and stay strong!

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

Most Active