Edmonton? Red Deer? Lethbridge?

kellie_calgary
on 4/27/12 8:50 am - Calgary, Canada
I have decided to ask my doctor to reffer me to a different program other than the one in Calgary.
I was hoping people here could tell me a bit about the program they joined and in what city they were in, what the program was called.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Kellie
Referral Date: Aug 2011
Start of Weight Management Program: Feb 2012
Highest Weight: 420
Current Weight: 413
Denise_in_Calgary
on 4/27/12 9:48 am - Canada
 Don't forget Medicine Hat does surgeries too. I think it's quite a long wait though. 
l_fex
on 5/2/12 8:34 am - Calgary, Canada
 Kellie,

I have already started the Red Deer program.  I only applied a few months ago.  I know the website says that calgary only has may 1st to apply but I'd put a referal in anyway.  I hope you find somewhere!
Gizzys
on 5/7/12 12:56 am - Canada
Hello,

I had my surgery the end of October 2011 with Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat, AB.  I was referred by my doctor the summer of 2010.  Then in April 2011, I was called to attend a half day dietician course at the Med Hat hospital.  Later on in the afternoon that same day was my consult appointment with Dr. Nohr.  He approved me for laproscopic RNY then and there and I was able to get an appointment date of Dec 2012.  I asked to be placed on the cancellation list and ended up having my surgery over a year earlier than my initial date.  It is important to ask to be placed on cancellation lists for both the consult appointment and the surgery.  Go into the consult with a written list of questions to ask him.

Dr. Nohr does not really have any kind of program.  He expects his patients to have completed alot of research on their own.  Other than the half day dietician session pre-surgery, there isn't really any post-care either.  He, and the dieticians are always available by phone if you need guidance.  He does a gastroscopy about 5 weeks after surgery to make sure things have healed well and in case your stoma need to be dialated.  I did not have to do any pre-liquid diet either.  But then again I was considered a lightweight.  But I don't believe he requires it at all.  He does have follow-up appointments to check how things are going.

I highly recommend Dr. Nohr.  He is a great surgeon and I have not really had any problems.  I would do this surgery again.  Dr. Nohr will also do a panni if you so choose after 100 lbs of weight loss and stability.

I am not sure of the waiting times these days with Dr. Nohr.  I know he got more OR time a year ago.  I think he does anywhere between 2-3 RNY's a week.  He does take the summer off though doing RNY's but starts up again in September.

Hope I have answered your questions.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active