Dr Davies Edmonton

Alvina300
on 5/7/12 5:38 am - Canada
Has anyone had the VS with Dr Davies from Edmonton and how did it go?

Thanks
Alvina
moxy 809
on 5/8/12 4:52 am
First let me say that I do know that others have been very successful with this surgeon because I asked the very same question before my surgery.  Every surgery has its risks and unfortunately, I had life threatening complications and was in the hospital for almost 2 months on a feeding tube.  I had to really think about why I would want to tell you about my negative experience with my surgery and it is certainly not to scare you.  I want you to learn from my experience. I was hurriedly discharged from the hospital with a fever and no leak test (some dont do leak tests).  I can't help but wonder if maybe the fever had been addressed or if I had a leak test things may not have been so bad. 
Alvina300
on 5/8/12 7:13 am - Canada
Hi there

Thats terrible.  Thanks for letting me know, since I will definetly request it.  I trust you are doing well now.

Thanks
Alvina
D. Hoi
on 5/8/12 9:46 am - Canada
 Dr. Davies was my surgeon and he was wonderful.  As the previous poster noted, he doesn't do an additional leak test the day after surgery.....that's because he does his testing before you leave the OR.  He has an excellent reputation amongst patients and Dr.'s.  My GP told me that I was lucky to be assigned such a skilled surgeon and she had no issues with me having the surgery because Dr. Davies was doing it.  I have had absolutely no problems.  I can eat and drink anything, I've never thrown up and had zero complications (knock-on-wood).  I asked him up front about his stats...has anyone he operated on died as a result of surgery, how many times has he had to go back in....etc...etc...and he gave me very candid and honest answers.

Of course every person and every surgery is different.  Ask him whatever questions you need to ask to feel comfortable about him doing your surgery.  It is an amazing ride....

Starting weight  333 lbs       Pre-op Loss - 47.8 lbs  Surgery Weight  285 lbs
Twoderland - 2011APR15   250lbs - 2011AUG10  100lbs lost - 2011SEP29
Onederland - 2012APR04   SuperMorbidlyObese - 2010OCT13 MorbObese-2010DEC11
Obese-2011JUL02  Overweight-2012MAY09     Normal BMI: 2013FEB07

Alvina300
on 5/8/12 10:11 am - Canada
Thanks for your response.   I hope your experience is the majority of patients.  I have read alot of blogs and it seems alot of patients experience gall bladder surgery in the first year.  Is this related in any way?

When you met Dr Davies the first time, is that when they tell you the surgery date?

I'm assuming that will be the case on Thursday, however, I started second guessing the process after reading many of the blogs

Thanks
Alvina
D. Hoi
on 5/8/12 10:47 am - Canada
 Gall bladder issues are often related with rapid and/or large weight loss....kidney stones can be an issue as well.  It has no relation to the surgeon or surgery.

Your meeting with the Dr. is to discuss the surgery options and to decide which ones is the right one for you.  You don't get your surgery date until sometime later.  You go in a queue and they make their way through the list until they hit your name and you get offered a surgery date.  I'm hearing that these days it takes approx 3 months between the time you are approved for surgery and you get you date....way faster than it has historically been.  

Alvina300
on 5/8/12 10:53 am - Canada
Thanks for your reply, although its not what I was expecting.  I should have asked more questions, since I was looking forward to finding out my surgery date on Thursday.  Do you know if its a shorter wait for the sleeve or the RNY?

Thanks again
Alvina
D. Hoi
on 5/8/12 11:05 am - Canada
 It doesn't depend on what surgery you are getting.  Each Dr. gets his alotment of OR hours.  In the past Davies has had the shortest waiting list but I don't know if that is still true.

Alvina300
on 5/8/12 11:25 am - Canada
Thanks again and congrats on your weight loss. 

Take care
Alvina
Mamatb
on 5/20/12 1:15 pm - Canada

I see Dr. Davies in Bonnyville, and as of March 2 he has told me 8-10weeks till my sleeve surgery.... well I think it's over 10 weeks now still waiting on the call... grrrr....  and wont know till 1week ahead of time when it will be according to his nurses at his office...  They say it doesn't look promising with his schedule and time off, that it will be before July.... grrr again.  Was hoping to start summer 20-30 lbs lighter.... and I'm have a heck of a time journaling and eating properly, since he told me 8-10 weeks my mind set has changed and Im eating eveything.... like its my last meal.... Think I gained 10lbs since he said that.... yikes :(  Wish I had a number at the Royal Alec booking to see if they have a date set.... his said they'd be calling.

Most Active