Protein and liquids

babykissw
on 10/29/12 12:16 am - Canada
Hi everyone,
I am 1 week post op and everyday I'm feeling a little better I have 3 concerns. I am not getting close to my protein goal. Is this normal for the first 2 weeks on full fluids? I am also not getting close to my fluid goal and last of all I haven't went to the bathroom for a bowel movement since before surgery sorry if this is too much info. The doc's today me when they discharged me that if I haven't went by today go see my family doctor but I was wondering if u should just call the ww clinic instead? Has anyone else experienced these problems and do you have any advice on what I should do?
Thank you
Kelly-AnneH
on 10/29/12 5:31 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Your concerns are very much normal.

First off, what goals did they give you for fluids, protein and calories? While I wait for your answer I'll tell you what has worked for me.

1. Fluids - your most important issue. Pour yourself a glassful of something you like and play a game. Let's say you like to read - every time you turn a page make yourself take a mouthful of your drink, then swallow a little at a time as you read the next page. Prefer tv? Do the same every commercial. Knit? Drink at the end of each row. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly that glass empties. You can also set a timer, but I like making it a game better.
Something we forge****er is fluids, but so are juice, broth, coffee (I was allowed coffee after a week - follow whatever rule you were given), tea, sf hot chocolate, milk, soup, protein shakes - they all count as part of your water. Pop does NOT! Remember they said don't drink pop? LISTEN to that rule - embrace it, make it your own. Pop will make you HURT, will most likely make you puke, and is just such a very bad idea. If you want the flavour, buy the sf versions of pop flavour concentrate from Bed, Bath & Beyond (they have them for home pop machines) and add them to plain water.
8 cups of liquid sounds like a lot, but if you sleep 8 hours a night you have 16 to drink in. 1 measly ounce every 15 minutes of that time adds up to 8 cups. If you're eating solids at mealtimes that takes away 3-4 hours of drinking time, but that still leaves you 12 hours to drink in. (1 ounce per 11 minutes) You can definitely drink an ounce every 11 minutes, right?

2. Protein is your next priority. Fluids are ALWAYS first. Low protein isn't good, but dehydration can kill you. What are you allowed to eat so far? Full fluids? Hmm... At that stage I liked a few of the ready made protein shakes. (not many) The Atkins ones are decent (15g protein), Pure Protein (21g protein) and the Body Logix Protein H2O (10g protein, but only 60 calories) cut with water were doable. Just plain 1% milk has 9g of protein and went down just fine.
For powders I found the unflavoured Kaizen brand from SaveOn the most useful. One of my favourite ways to use it was to throw a scoop (23g protein) in the blender with a cup of cold water, blend it up and pour it into my Rubbermaid water bottle with some Mio or sf Hawaiian Punch, fill the bottle with more water and start my drinking game.
If you put unflavoured whey (23g protein per scoop) in a bowl and just add some to everything you eat you'll be surprised at how quickly the protein adds up. Some in your breakfast oatmeal, some in your soup at lunch, some in your afternoon snack of yogurt or applesauce - next thing you know the bowl is empty.
It doesn't mix well in hot drinks unless you mix it into something cold first.
You can use plain powdered milk the same way. Mixing 1/3 cup of milk powder (9g protein) into things like oatmeal gives them a good boost.

3. Constipation. First off, you aren't constipated unless you're trying to pass hard stool. if you aren't going often, but when you do it isn't a struggle, just try to not worry. You aren't eating much, so there isn't much to get rid of.
If you ARE constipated you aren't alone. We've pretty much all struggled with it at some point since surgery. We aren't eating much, cheese is one of the easiest things to get down but adds to the problem, as does not getting enough fluids. Check your paperwork to see if they have a suggestion. Otherwise your first things are making sure you're drinking enough, perhaps adding some fibre (Benefibre mixes into most things, but always get plenty of fluids with it or it'll make things worse)
If that isn't enough, many people find relief with Restoralax or a capsule stool softener like Colace as I did early on, but once again fluids are key. They pull fluid into your intestines to soften the stool - if you aren't drinking enough they can't help you. I wouldn't take any irritant laxative without talking to your WW nurse or your GP. (I just plain avoid them since they're hard on your innards and can be habit forming)

Welcome to the Other Side. You're going to do just great.
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

gericole67
on 10/29/12 5:33 pm - edmonton, Canada

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just had a RNY on Oct 4 and I am on pins and needles every time I am unsure of something. I had a VBG back in 1997 that was fine for 5 years then eroded and I gained most of my weight back. The RNY was a revision of the VBG and it is a totally different experience. I thought I knew what to expect but nothing is the same as the first op. I am able to eat all types of foods so far and with the first one I couldn't eat anything. I am so worried about fluids and protein as I am no where near where they want me to be but I find I am fearful that I will eat too much and not lose enough weight or drink too much and stretch out the new pouch. The advice you gave makes me feel better that I'm doing ok. I got weighed last Monday and I have lost 31 lbs, and 3 inches off my waist since Oct 4.

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/30/12 10:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Liquids can't stretch your pouch, but persistent overheating of solids can and eating crap will make you fat just as easily post surgery as pre. This time of extreme restriction is your window of opportunity to learn better eating habits and get help with any emotional or mental baggage that is in your way.

Focus on fluids for now. Everything else will come. If you can drink milk you can have a 2fer - fluids and protein in one. Ask your nurse or dietition for suggestions if you need them, but first do your share and DRINK. (Water, tea, herbal tea, milk, broth - it all counts) I'd avoid fruit juice as they've taught you - juice is basically a delivery system for sugar. And pop? It is so NOT your friend - even the diet versions.

You can totally do this.

babykissw
on 11/2/12 4:23 am - Canada

My fluid goal is 8-10 cups and my protein in between 67-80 grams. I don't have a set calorie goal yet probably at my next appointment on Nov 27th.   I have managed to get my fluids up to 5 1/2 cups a day.  I have been setting my timer on my phone for every half hour and having a 1/4 cup every half hour.  I need to increase this somehow any ideas? should I be trying more than a 1/4 cup?  I have not touched pop and i will not touch it!

For my protein I have been doing horrible I'm getting most from greek yogurt and milk other than that I hate the powder I bought it was recommended by my dietitian its called beneprotein it taste like fish food smells YUCK!  She told me to stay away from flavorless protein powders. 

Do you have any pointers on where i should start Wednesday......its my first day on solids.  I'm nervous.  Wondering what worked well for you and what didnt I realize everyone is different but just like to get an idea.

The constipation I believe took care of itself once my liquid intake went up :)

You are a very positive person I am very thankful for your replies and I enjoy reading and applying your advice to my journey. 

Thank-You

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/2/12 5:50 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Easy answer for your fluids - change your timer to 25 minutes, then 20. 1/4 cup is fine.

Did she say why you should stay away from unflavoured? I was under the impression Beneprotein WAS unflavoured - in a nasty way. If it won't go down get a different brand. You need protein to heal well and it's going to take time to build up the amount of protein you can ingest in solid food. Dietitians are an amazing resource and I learned SO much from mine, but protein powder can't do you any good if you can't get or keep it down.

Ok, solids. 2 of your most useful kitchen gadgets are your measuring cups and a digital kitchen scale. Start with your 1/4 cup measuring cup to start. It looks tiny, and it is, but it's plenty for the first while.

Start 1 food at a time, just like you would for a baby.

I'm not much of a meat eater, but my sis found ham pretty easy because it's so moist. I went for baked salmon - soft, moist, easy to chew to liquid. Start with 1 ounce as a serving. Take tiny bites, chew to to liquid and really take the time to taste it. Chewing is going to be your magical way to avoid throwing up and food getting stuck. Put your fork down between bites and chew...

Lots of people really like Wendy's chili as an early food. (I have no opinion - I don't eat beef) If you want to try it, buy some, measure out 1/4 cup and put the rest in the fridge for another meal. Over a couple of days increase your lean protein to 2 ounces and things like chili to 1/2 cup. It sounds like a pitiful amount, but if you eat the way you should you'll be surprised at how filling it is. Also, being kind to your tummy now will pay off down the road.

I like baked beans in place of chili, and they come in lots of flavours. Chili beans are especially nice, and I will have 1/4 cup each of brown rice and chili beans as an easy lunch. Don't eat rice until you've mastered chewing, and never on its own.

My plan says to not push for more than 2 ounces of dense protein, so once you're there you get to add veg. I still find that over cooking our veggies a bit makes them easier on Fred.

Something I've found super helpful is taking the time to learn my new "enough" signal. Do NOT wait for "oh crap - I ate too much!" Stop 1/2 way through your small portion and take a minute to feel what you feel. Do the same every 2-3 bites until you're done. You are not looking for full. You're looking for "enough."

For me, I get a sort of bubbly feeling at the base of my throat, followed a bite or 2 later by a hiccup. That's a good place for me to stop eating. If I keep eating I get slight pressure behind my breastbone that increases as I eat a bit more - then comes the "oh crap!" moment, which sometimes leads to a run to the bathroom. My life has improved a good deal since I learned to stop eating at the bubbly/hiccup stage.

Keep me up on your progress. Work on that protein. Replacing part of your water with milk will help. Adding milk powder to things like oatmeal also helps.

Kelly-Anne

Cutiegirl01
on 10/30/12 1:54 pm - St Albert, Canada
RNY on 06/12/12
My nurse at the WW clinic told me to have a small cup of coffee 5 days post op as I had not had a bowel movement. I was surprised she said this as we are not suppose to have caffeine for two weeks. She said the small amount wouldn't hurt and would get things moving....she was right! It did the trick and I haven't had a problem since. I am 5 months post op and have not had a problem and am regular every day and do not take anything!
Kelly-AnneH
on 10/30/12 2:36 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
See? Coffee is your friend.
I've heard that it works that way for quite a few people. The nutrition doctor where I had my VSG said I could have any coffee I wanted after day 5 - he made me very, very happy. We were still in San Diego on day 6 and went to Starbucks. Best sf latte I have EVER had.

Kelly-Anne

Gizzys
on 10/31/12 12:16 am - Canada

Up to about 4 months out, I also battled getting fluids and protein in.  It was always on my mind, and I was always adding Benefibre to everything I ate, but I was eating so little.  To this day, I still struggle with getting all my fluids in.  I worry I am going to get dehydrated one day and really feel the pain.  I recall hearing a good idea about using those little medicine cups that come with cough medicine.  Drink one of those every 15 minutes of so and you will get your fluids in for the day.  Also, mix skim milk powder in your yogurt, sugar free pudding, or cream soups. Better yet add Benefibre (which you can get at Shopper's Drug Mart, ask the pharmacist).  Also try drinking room temperature liquids, that may help.  I spent my 6 weeks at home recovery time doing nothing more than trying to figure out a schedule and routine of what to put in my mouth, when and how often. To this day I still drink Premier Protein readymade chocolate shakes (from Costco) daily.  Pretty much the only protein drink I can handle and they provide 30g of protein each.  I also take Restoralax every other day to help my BM.  You'll figure it out.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

Most Active