ANYONE IN CALGARY HAD REVISION FROM LAPBAND TO ANOTHER WLS???

Metamorphosis1
on 12/18/12 11:21 am

Hello.

I've had my band removed and am looking for advice or experiences with  revision surgery after a failed lap band.

I am looking at the sleeve but was wondering if there is anyone that has  had their band removed and revised to a different surgery.

thanks so much   :)

jennyrenny
on 12/26/12 10:45 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12

I got a lapband in February 2009. It was a total failure. When I had it taken out in February 2012 I weighed the same as when it was put in. I had gone up and down about 30 pounds, but the band did more harm than good. I thought about getting the sleeve as it seems to have been a great option for a lot of people. My concern was that with 200 pounds to lose, it wouldn't' be enough. I was also worried about regain, as apparently the sleeve stretches after a while. I contemplated the RNY but I was worried that the little pouch and stoma would feel way too much like the band and I had already puked enough with the band to last a lifetime. I also was worried about reactive hypoglycemia. I know this only happens to some people who get the RNY but I do like to have sweets once in a while and if this is going to be a forever thing I wanted to make sure it was a lifestyle I could live with.

I ended up having a Duodenal Switch done in August 2012. They don't do it anywhere in Alberta and although they do it in Ontario and Quebec the waiting list was too long and the cost was outrageous. I did A LOT of homework and ended up going to Mexico and having Dr. Aceves and Dr. Ungson perform the operation. Best decision I ever made. As you can see by my ticker in 4 1/2 months I am down almost a hundred pounds (I think about 14 of that was pre-op). The best thing is that it hasn't even been that hard. My eating has totally changed, but I don't feel like I am suffering. I load up on protein, which leaves little room for other stuff. Bread upsets my stomach, but I can live with that.  Milk was a problem at first, but I seem to be over that. I can eat the occasional sweet without too much problem, although with eating so few carbs, I can't say as I have a really sweet tooth anymore. I'm not one of those people who got the DS and totally lost their appetite, but if I start my day with lots of protein and keep it up throughout the day, my appetite is small and I get full (and satisfied, which I never got with the band) with a small amount of food. You do have to take vitamins for the rest of your life, but to me that is a small price to pay for how great I am already feeling, not even at the half way mark.

I'm not sure how much you have to lose or what surgeries you are considering but I would look into the DS. It rocks! Surf the different forums around here and you will get a sense of the good, bad and ugly that goes along with the different surgeries. Then ask yourself if you can live with those challenges and outcomes.

Good luck!

Jenn

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Most Active