Sleep apnea / CPAP Machine

Kenni
on 1/16/13 8:36 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13
Hi everyone!

I have a question for any of you that have been diagnosed with sleep apnea and use a cpap machine.

I was recently diagnosed with a very mild form of sleep apnea. My doctor reccomended a trial of a cpap machine.

At first i was given a nasal mask. I wasnt able to wear it longer than about an hour at a time, I would wake up and get frustrated and take it off. Last week I was given a full mask and same thing, I cant get used to it.

Do any of you have any suggestions for getting used to using the machine? I know in the long run it will help me and i would love a full nights sleep! Did you have as much trouble with it as I am?

Thanks!!

-Kendra

http://chunkygirlkendra.blogspot.ca           

Surgery date: April 10, 2012    

Starting Weight: 386.0
Surgery Weight: 329.0

krw1979
on 1/16/13 11:40 am - Canada
So i went through this exact same thing last year. I was diagnosed with very mild apnea (the dr at the northern Alberta sleep clinic where i did my sleep study said i had a lot of hypopneas which is not a total closure of the air way like a apnea, just a narrowing)

I felt very pressured into trying the machine and found that the guys at Sleep Therapudics where more interested in making a sale than anything. They out right lied to me after my trial period and tried to scare me into getting the machine by saying i was at risk for all kinds of conditions.

I felt alot better because dr Modi went over my results at my last appointment and confirmed the fact my results weren't that bad. Notion that was going to interfear with surgery. So if it makes you feel better take the results to another Dr to check over.

Bottom line is that in my opinion if you were getting good sleep before, you can try a machine but if after your test period thing still aren't going good with the masks and your sleep isn't any better it might not be worth it for a mild case.....
mother1973
on 1/16/13 12:14 pm - Calgary, Canada
RNY on 03/20/13
The same thing happened to me. I have been diagnosed with very mild sleep apnea. I did the trial with the CPAP machine and really did not get anything out of it. I actually think it woke me up more than I was waking up before.

My dilemma now is I am waiting for a date for surgery but now I am being told because I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea I need to be cleared before they will proceed with my surgery. I truly am pulling my hair out. I feel like I am being forced into buying a machine that did nothing for me. To be honest I have lost 35 lbs in the last 9 months and my sleeping has improved immensely. However no mater what I have tried to tell my nurse she says I must have a clearance letter now from a respirologist before they can proceed. I have not even seen a respirologist so not sure why I new I have clearance from one?

To say the least I am a bit frustrated and upset because now my surgery date has been delayed until I get this clearance. I see the sleep doctor on Feb 1st to discuss this but that is still another two weeks away.

Just thought I would share my story too.

mornings
on 1/17/13 1:34 am - Canada

so sorry that you are frustrated  but in fairness its about your health  even a mild case of sleep apnea is   not  good it means you actually stop breathing thru the night ,  your nurse im sure is only doing what  the clinic expects  of course  and well   i know the machines are alittle pricey  since i have one as well  they work  they really do improve your sleep ,    hopeful they will  see that you may not be such a risk for surgery  but i do understand the doctors not really taking a chance to put you to sleep for surgery  without being  100 percent sure your going to be fine since  being put to sleep is a much deeper rest   Your surgery date will come soon  have hope  just a few  steps before you get there ,,,,,,,,,,,  You got this far  your doing great try to not be so frustrated  its just like anything else  its procedures of the program  they have to  follow them  as well as  your surgery   you have to maintain afterwards as well    .. feb1 will come fast if by chance you need a machine its only really for your own health  Your worth it 

mother1973
on 1/17/13 2:25 am - Calgary, Canada
RNY on 03/20/13

Thanks Mornings it helps to be encouraged to keep up the good work.... I totally agree that they are looking out for what is best for me... just to be this close and have a hiccup like this is what is frustrating.

My nurse is amazing and has answered a 1000 questions for me ... so nothing against the clinic at all.  Just like I said it just feels so close but I haven't gotten there yet.  frown

mornings
on 1/17/13 4:06 am - Canada

it will get there  i just know they been  doing great to ensure people   move thru the clinic faster in no time you will meet your  Doctor  talk about what you want done and be on that losers bench   just hard to make lifestyle changes  thats for sure but its a new beginning and  to get that  new beginning you have to work hard to ensure you add years  to your healthy life ,    summer be here before you know it and you will look back and say   proudly that you   did it completely  changed your life for a new one  a more improved happy one

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/13 12:46 pm

I have very mild sleep apnea..... the respiratory doctor that the weight wise clinic sends  most people to told me not to get a machine if I was going to keep losing weight in the near future.... but if I wasn't losing weight or I became pregnant then I need to get one for sure

My husband has very bad sleep apnea..... the tech said he was one of the worst she has seen lol..... He has tried about 4 different kinds of masks and 1-2 sizes of each kind..... he found it was just trial and error..... the right one he found was obvious after the first few nights

Definitively if you feel they are just trying to make a sale go somewhere else..... also I have heard a few places rent machines.... not sure where but that might be an option if you are going to be losing weight fast and if they think your sleep apnea is weight related...... mine is weight related.... my husbands is not, they feel even if he was perfect weight he would still have at least moderate sleep apnea and probably has since he was an adult

On the bright side, my husband has had chronic neck pain and headaches for 15 yrs.... we always thought it was from multiple injuries he has had on his head and neck...... but once he got the right mask he very rarely has a headache now....but still the neck pain from injury...... but the worst part of the was the headaches and they are pretty much gone and he says he feels better than he has in years for feeling like he go a goodnights sleep and has more energy though the day 

Hope that helps a bit

Kenni
on 1/21/13 1:44 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13

Thanks for your input everyone!

I had to give the machine back as my trial was up. I was sort of starting to get used to it..I could wear it for about 2 hours. But then I got a terrible cold!

So now they have rebooked me for the beginning of February to try it again. I see Dr. Modi again sometime in February, so I guess I'll talk to her about it then! 

I personally don't think that my sleep apnea is bad enough to need it for surgery, but the Doctor's know much more about it than I do. 

I appreciate everyone's help!

-Kendra

Ps..WOOHOO! Finally over that plateau! Lost a couple of pounds this week! 

http://chunkygirlkendra.blogspot.ca           

Surgery date: April 10, 2012    

Starting Weight: 386.0
Surgery Weight: 329.0

mornings
on 1/22/13 12:40 am - Canada

i seen Dr Modi and Dr Kwon there both great  usually they give you a date and book you for a surgeon to see   i to have sleep apnea   even if at first i hated the fact i had to sleep with a machine  its honestly become the best sleep i ever had now ...  having a cold with the machine sucks really  i cant  wear mine when i am sneezing and coughing because it fights against my breathing  but when i am well i love my machine  good luck to you  as you visit  Dr Modi  i bet you will have great  reports

Keelan
on 1/22/13 3:53 am

I didn't have sleep apnea but was sent for a sleep study through the clinic to Dr Sebastian on Jasper ave, he sent me home with the machine for the study and when I went back to see him he said I was in the clear. My sister however did have sleep apnea but in a milder form and he said he wouldn't waste her money by telling her to purchase the cpap machine as she would be losing weight after her surgery and her apnea would decrease with weight loss.

I hope after speaking to the doctors at the clinic you can get some answers and resolve your issues. It's hard enough having sleep apnea let alone being woke all night long due to the machine. I can barely keep oxygen on in the hospital let alone sleep with a whole mask on.

Good Luck.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Most Active