Looking for an Edmonton and area support group ???

Robert H.
on 9/17/13 3:10 am, edited 9/17/13 3:43 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

hi everyone, I am having surgery with Dr. Christou in Montreal on Nov 26.13.

Have not decided whether it will be the RNY bypass or the sleeve.   I am interested in finding 

a support group in the Edmonton or St Albert area for both before and after surgery.

Would the weight wise program offer anything or would I be exempt since I paid for the surgery myself.

Any and all replies would be greatly appreciated.

Xcalibur2572
on 9/17/13 5:16 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Check out the Edmonton Bariatric Support Group at http://www.edmontonbsg.ca.  We also have a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/469026893188376/.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers!
- Alex

spurrell1964
on 9/17/13 5:22 am - Turner Valley, Canada

RH, 

I spoke with the bariatric nurse at the WW clinic in Calgary. I was told: Being that I am having the surgery outside of the Country I would not be allowed to be part of the on going classes. I was sad and wrote back asking if it was because I was going to another country or because I was paying for the surgery. Would it apply if I were having surgery in T.O. . Did that make a difference I asked.

She reiterated that if you get the surgery through another means that the health system then your on your own. No support with them anyway. 

I decided that a support group was the way for me to go then. I chat with people here. I also have 3 ladies that I speak with by email and will be meeting this week for coffee. They will be my support group and help me along my way. 

Good luck 

Talks soon

Lori

Ballerinababe165
on 9/19/13 5:24 am
Amanda P.
on 9/18/13 12:32 am
RNY on 04/03/13

I also would recommend the EBSG Support group.  We have people that have had surgery in the clinic and we also have people who have had surgery in other parts of the country and Mexico.  Look up the date of the next meeting on the Website.  It would be nice to see you there and you could also ask us any questions that you might have before your surgery.

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/18/13 2:09 am, edited 9/18/13 2:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
There's the group Alex told you about, and an unofficial "meet for coffee and chatter" group with 4 of us that went to Mexicali for our surgery. We meet at the Skyview Starbucks whenever we can fit coffee time into our schedules.

One of our group had RNY (type 2 diabetic and severe reflux before surgery, so RNY was her best choice) the other 3 have sleeves. I or we'd love to meet you for coffee sometime if you'd like.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Missdede
on 9/18/13 10:37 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

Hi, I'm one of the 4 Kelly-Anne mentioned.  We need to get together, maybe next week KA?

deidra

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/18/13 12:50 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You betcha! I'm available Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. We'll have our grandbaby all of next weekend, so I have tonnes of cleaning to do, but breaks are good for the mental health, yes?

Kelly-Anne

Robert H.
on 9/19/13 12:54 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

Would very much like to meet with you and or the group for coffee.  I live in St. Albert so I am very close to 

the Skyview Starbucks.  Let me know how is the best way to contact you?

Kelly-AnneH
on 9/19/13 4:48 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Easiest is by text. I'll send you my number in a private message.

Kelly-Anne

Most Active