Stats on regain after surgery

dirks34
on 6/17/14 10:36 pm
RNY on 10/31/12

Someone told me yesterday that the majority of people regain their weight back after weight loss surgery? Is this true? Why?

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Alicia W.
on 6/17/14 10:58 pm - Ephrata, WA

My doctor told me that many people have trouble maintaining long term because they slip back into their old habits.  People tend to forget that this is a LIFE-LONG commitment, not a quick fix.  If you continue to follow the instructions given to you by your doctor, take your vitamins daily, and follow up with your doctor at least once a year you should be fine.  Follow ALL instructions given to you by your doctor no matter how silly they may seem.  Try to maintain a good support system.  If you have any concerns or fears that you may be sliding backwards, contact your doctor.  Remember, "VICTORY STARTS HERE", with you and your commitment.  Maintain your commitment and you will maintain your success.

dirks34
on 6/19/14 12:30 am
RNY on 10/31/12

Just wondering what the stats where for people who gain at least half or more back. I'm diligent about never gaining back any.

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; a optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"- Winston Churchill

Royalfreedom
on 6/19/14 10:56 am
VSG on 06/23/14

I had the same question. I found this on line. It was encouraging:

http://www.bariatric-surgery-source.com/weight-gain-after-bariatric-surgery.html#How_much

Wishing you a healthy day,

Royalfreedom

proudmustangdriver
on 8/26/14 12:58 am - Canada

My mom had her stomach stapled probably 30 years ago and lost 100lbs. She did gain it back, but not until 20 years after when her and my dad divorced. She recently had the VSG done again in Mexico and has since lost all the weight again.

Her advice to me (getting VSG in January) is to NEVER go a week without stepping on the scale. She had so much going on in her life and got scared to step back on it when she gained the weight. Had she done so she would have realized much sooner that it was becoming a big issue. She says now when she steps on and sees a 5lb. gain she gets herself in check and goes back to the boo****il she looses 7lbs. Small weight losses and gains are much easier to combat and control she says, and her advice is to simply check the scale and hold yourself accountable!

Most Active