Dr. DeGara and wait times for revisions?

jkatan
on 6/30/15 2:19 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I had a vbg done in 2000 by Dr. Hollingsworth in Cardston; and am now a patient at the Royal Alex - Revision Clinic.  I have had several appointments with the team and several tests completed; and am now waiting for an appointment with Dr. deGara on August 12, 2015 to discuss what's next for me. 

I've got a couple of questions; I understand everyone's situtation is different but I'm wondering how long does it take from the time a person sees the doctor until actual surgery, and does the support continue post surgery (dietican, nurse, etc)?  I've heard many people have waited from months to years for revisions. I'm also wondering if there is anyone out there who's been in the same position as I am; after having a vertical band gastroplasty that was unsucessful and has had revision surgery....how sucessful is it?

Jackie.

mornings
on 7/1/15 10:45 pm - Canada

Dr Degara just did my revision may26th   He is such a wonderful caring Doctor I am so so impressed with him hes a life saver   now your wait time will be not long at all  I had my appointment with him I went on the booking list  the next month I got my date so  its summer time so it means  surgery booking  slows down but  they  get back  busy in September so  I would say  you will be Sept or Oct   but soon as he books you  then ask  kim for shes straight forward and she will tell you   around the time of if hes behind  but hes a super awesome doctor who  does a lot of revisions and you will  not have to wait very long as I said I waited one month and had my surgery date ... hope this helps  and  Kim is very easy to talk to and shes honest she will let you know around  the booking times  I had a  Gastric sleeve  and was revised to  RNY

jkatan
on 7/2/15 7:47 am - Edmonton, Canada

Thanks so much for the information.  It sounds like everything for you is going well; glad to hear it.

Does the clinic continue to follow up with folks (dietican and psychologist help)? 

mornings
on 7/12/15 5:07 pm - Canada

sorry for the delay in responding  yes they actually do keep  follow ups actually I have 2 appointments coming up  july 22 23 great doctor and staff he has

Geminidawn
on 10/27/15 11:09 am

Hi. My situation is similar. I had my surgery done by Dr Hollingsworth as well. I started this whole revision process in June. Have had a couple telehealth appointments for intake and dietician, a phone consult with a dietician and on Friday I just had a gastroscopy done. Found out I have 2 holes in my pouch along the staple line. I spoke with Edmonton revision clinic and got booked for a consult with the surgeon but not until March 2016!!!! That will be almost a year for this process. I feel so discouraged. How much longer after that for surgery I wonder. Some people seem to get in for surgery fairly quickly. I don't understand it. I am hoping to have a bypass done since VBG is so unsuccessful I don't want to take a chance on them just repairing it. Good luck with yours.

jkatan
on 10/27/15 12:03 pm - Edmonton, Canada

Don't loose hope - I too am in a 'holding pattern'. I first became a patient of the bariatric clinic last fall (September 2014) and even though I have felt frustrated at times - the waiting has really given me time to take a good look at my eating habits and get active again so my recovery will be faster.

I met with Dr. DeGara the end of August, and he determined following all the tests that I am a good candidate for revision. I too have some holes (3) from the VBG ~ I am now waiting to hear from Dr. DeGara's office with a surgery date. I was told it would be after the new year - a lot of the wait is out of the hands of the Dr. - as there are limited resources (operating rooms) with so many different surgeons needing OR times. I know it's frustrating, but don't give up - it will happen for you soon!

Geminidawn
on 1/25/16 7:27 pm

Hi, I wish I would have got Dr DeGara. After 8 months I finally got a consult date but it was with Dr. Vu. Never heard of him before. Long story short he said because I didn't suffer from diabetes or sleep apnea that it wasn't worth it for me to have a revision. What a crock!   I was so angry. Still am. I felt like he had his mind made up about me before he even spoke to me. He didn't ask me anything about what problems I am having. Anyway, good luck to you. I hope it works out for you. 

Most Active