WLS in Ontario

Sim W.
on 2/4/07 6:20 am - Vancouver, Canada
Boy, I wish I lived in Ontario these days. I knew they were approving quite a few Ontario residents to get WLS out of country, just look at the Ontario forum from obesityhelp.com, but the province is also supporting bariatric surgery too. Here's one current article and an other older one that you may find of interest. Thought I would share them if you haven't already seen them. Sim Ontario opens more spots for weight-loss surgery Last Updated: Friday, February 2, 2007 | 5:28 PM ET CBC News About 225 more people in Ontario who are severely obese will have access to bariatric surgery, also known as "stomach stapling," the province's health minister announced on Friday. "For some patients who have already been fighting severe weight problems through diet and exercise, bariatric surgery is a medical treatment of last resort," Health and Long-term Care Minister George Smitherman said. The extra surgeries will take place in Toronto at the Humber River Regional Hospital, which is expanding its centre for bariatric surgery. Bariatric surgery such as gastric bypass surgery involves shrinking the stomach to reduce a patient's diet after people have unsuccessfully tried to lose weight through diet, increased physical activity and anti-obesity drugs. Research suggests the surgery is one of the most successful methods for long-term weight loss in obese people, who lose an average of 77 pounds. Shedding the extra weight helps lower incidence of Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and heart attacks. The funding includes $3.7 million to boost the hospital's surgical capacity and $124,300 in capital funding for renovations to the bariatric surgical suite. In Canada, most provincial health plans pay for the surgery but demands outstrips supply. There are about 20,000 morbidly obese patients in southern Ontario. About 4,500 people seek bariatric surgery each year, but fewer than 300 have the surgery in Canada. Between 2002 and 2004, seven centres, including ones in Vancouver, London and Ottawa, stopped performing the procedure. Obesity centre proposed for McMaster U. Last Updated: Monday, August 8, 2005 | 1:21 PM ET CBC News McMaster University in Hamilton is proposing to create Canada's first obesity treatment centre. A new centre is seen as a way to ease the current five-year wait time for patients hoping to solve severe obesity through bariatric surgery, also known as "stomach stapling." A study published last year in the Journal of the American Medical Association found those who had bariatric surgery lost more than 77 pounds on average. Most were cured of related conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea. There are about 20,000 morbidly obese patients in southern Ontario. About 4,500 people seek bariatric surgery each year, but fewer than 300 have the surgery in Canada. Many instead have travelled to the U.S., where the procedure can cost up to $70,000 US if there are complications. The McMaster centre would also train health professionals across the province to set up similar programs. It would also offer long-term weight management programs for obese patients. A proposal for the centre is currently being reviewed by provincial officials.
bonzo
on 3/18/07 1:15 pm - Guelph, Canada
Hi Sim - I am just browsing sites from other provinces and was surprised to find folks in BC are going for surgery to Montreal. I'm in Guelph, Ontario and most in my WLS support group are going to Michigan to Henry Ford Health Centre and Barix Clinics paid for by OHIP, provincial health insurance. While some funding has been released in the Toronto area and we have been trying to encourage support for a bariatric centre in Hamilton, there are still very long waiting lists with Ontario surgeons. I don't know of any here going to Montreal from here.
Sim W.
on 3/18/07 1:50 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Bonnie, Here in BC we don't have very many options so people are either waiting 4-5 years for WLS in BC or going down to Mexico (about $ 15, 000 US) to the private clinics with a month or two wait time or to Montreal to the private clinic where there is about 6- weeks to wait for the tests to be done and no wait time. Dr. Christou accepts our of province patients and the cost is $18,500 Canadian. If I lived in Ontario I would apply for out of country there and get it done in the US especially since OHIP pays for it. Thanks for your response. Sim from Vancouver
kimberely_1
on 5/15/07 12:06 am - Pembroke, Canada
Hi Sim, I am having my surgery next week at Barix funded by OHIP. We are very fortunate indeed in this province to have a health care system that is so flexible and recognizes the need for Obese people to have this surgery. Hopefully the other provinces will soon accept that Obesity is a disease, not a matter of willpower and follow our lead. All the best, Kim in Ontario
Most Active