Chewable vitamins and Protein Drinks

luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/13/11 2:01 pm - Canada
I am wondering what chewable vitamins you are taking I am 3 weeks away from having ryn surgery and i want to be prepared....what do you recommend after surgery?? Does anyone have the exact numbers we are supposed to get daily of protein etc.....

Also what protein drinks did you use before surgery and after...

Thanks in advance....
(deactivated member)
on 6/21/11 2:18 am - New Westminster, Canada
Hi, I'm from New West and me and my sis are having surgery on July 4 in Mexico with Dr. Jaimie Ponce de Leon. My sis is getting the sleeve and I am getting the gastric plication.  I'm finding this very scary and exciting at the same time. I do not know the answer to your question, but wanted to say hi since we both live in Vancouver.......good luck with everything.

Darlis
luckiestparentoftwo
on 6/21/11 9:17 am - Canada
i am having surgery july 1st in mexico also...i ended up deciding on the sleeve also...have you started pre op yet?
raingal
on 6/30/11 12:39 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi there - I am in Surrey and just had my surgery (band-to-sleeve revision) by Dr. Ponce de Leon on June 17th. 

I take Swiss (then "Natural Sources" in small letters - not sure if that's part of the name) Adult Chewable Multi-Vitamin and Mineral from Save-On.  I've been taking this vitamin for three years since I got my band.  I like them!  Now I am taking 2 a day instead of one, because of not eating anything nutritious for a while post-surgery.  I read where everyone should take their multi-vits in divided doses to absorb more, so I used to take approximately half a tab (I just bit off half-ish; they are quite big) at breakfast and fini**** at dinner.  Now I do that four times a day, with my protein shakes. 

I also add MagiCalcium Power (also by Swiss, bought atSave-on) to one or two protein drinks per day.  It also has magnesium.  Then I also take one or two Tums for calcium as well.

I was told by Dr. Ponce to drink chamomile tea in the morning, then three hours later have clear broth, then three hours later have jello, then three hours later have apple juice, etc., and sip water in between, for FIFTEEN DAYS!  When I got home four days after surgery, I looked up how much protein was in jello and broth, and it's not much!  I don't know why I was not advised to drink some clear protein drinks.  I read a number of post-surgical diets (there are a number to choose from, from reputable medical sources, here on the site - just use the search box) and they ALL stressed the importance of getting 65-70g of protein every day.  If you don't get enough,
you will likely have hair loss several months later.  Plus, I was really, really weak, and with so much to do to take care of my family (my son has multiple special needs and I also have a little girl), it just wasn't going to work with no protein.

So I decided not to follow my doctor's orders, and I got a protein drink called Whey-Kool from GNC.  In the U.S. they have another one that's completely clear, but I was told I couldn't get it in BC.  Whey-Kool comes in Lemonade (which I bought) and Peach-Mango flavours.  One scoop mixed with water provides 21g of protein.  It is not completely clear; it is kind of cloudy, but definitely not like other protein shakes I've seen which look like chocolate milk or something.  I figured it was close enough.  Wal-mart may carry something clear as well - I think it is called something like Shot or Bullet or something.  It is pre-made, you just open it and drink.  I was told it doesn't taste very good.  Whey-Kool is VERY mildly and quite pleasantly flavoured, which is good when you are drinking it three times a day.

One the ninth day of liquids (11 days post-op) I added in a small bowl of strained cream of mushroom soup (Campbell's, mixed with water), just so I could feel semi-normal again.  I have a family to cook for and I was going crazy looking at and SMELLING all that good food and not being able to have ANYTHING.  Then the next day I added half a container of Premier Protein shake (from Costco).  This shake was recommended on this site.  One small container has 30g of protein!  I am now drinking one whole container per day, plus the bowl of strained soup, and two Whey-Kool  drinks.  I'm "easing into" the full liquids portion, because of being advised to go 15 days on clears.  I really don't understand why I was told to stay on clears for so long, especially without protein.  NONE of the diets I have read even suggest that this might be a possibility that one's doctor would advise.  I know I should listen to my doctor, but so far, so good...I feel so much better since I started on the protein!

Oh - I just noticed the date on your post - you've already had your surgery!  Well, I wish you all the best, and maybe the information in my post can help someone else if you've already got your supplies.

Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

Most Active