Anyone Else Having Issues With

chale
on 11/6/11 2:47 am - Canada
Hey everyone.

I had my surgery on Oct 31 and the past two days I've had issues with morning dizziness and blood sugar going down to 4?  I had to get up twice in the night to check my blood sugar and this morning I had my first full shower and felt quite whoozy yesterday.  The same thing happened yesterday.  So now I will sit on the couch again for an hour to feel better.

Anyone else had these issues?

Thanks,

Cynthia
bamf
on 11/6/11 3:39 am - Burnaby, BC, Canada
Hi Cynthia:
I had my RNY on Oct. 3.  I still get the dizzy spells, whenever I sit upright, either from bed or from my recliner chair.  Dr. Sampath told me to sit up more slowly, and then to sit until the dizzy,s subside, before actually trying to stand.  That does seem to help, but I tend to forget about this step and then it takes over again, I guess I just want to get going to quickly.  About the blood sugars, I stopped all my insulin (5 injections a day) and all my Metformin (3 daily), on the night before surgery.  Dr. You said it would take a few weeks (longer for me because of my extra stay in hospital) for my body to adjust to the new stress placed upon it.  I may have to restart my pills within a few weeks, but no more insulin for me.  My numbers went quite low a couple of times in the hospital, but have been fairly high (for me) since coming home, even though my total carb intake is very low (just extra stress on body).  Do you take any insulin or pills for your blood sugar?  I you do, you may want to discontinue until your body adjusts to all the changes/stress that has taken place.  I will be seeing my endocrinologist (diabetes doctor) next week for monitoring my levels, and to find out what my next step may be, but Dr. Sampath is wanting me off all my meds, except the asthma meds, which is what I am doing right now, and I just hope it can continue like that.  Good Luck with your blood sugar levels, and hope you can get everything settled down real soon.
Barb Friesen
chale
on 11/6/11 3:58 am - Canada
Thanks Barb - I thought it was just me!  It sounds terrible, but I feel better knowing that it is kinda "normal"!

I haven't had any diabetes medication since two days before the surgery.  I was only on 30 mg of Actos per day, and Dr. You took me off of it altogether.  So I'm not quite sure why my blood sugar keeps dropping. 

I'm going to contact Nooshin tomorrow, and I've upped my soups and glucerna to half a cup at a time (which is still within range). 

Cheers --

Cynthia

jaynak
on 11/6/11 7:02 am - Canada
I had the whooziness after showering for a few days.  I just assumed that it was because I was anemic before surgery and then loosing some blood during surgery.  I also thought that maybe I was a little dehydrated.  I made sure that get up slowly and make sure that I was getting enough fluids in in case it was some dehydration causing my BP to drop temporarily.

You guys are lucky to be off your diabetic meds.  I wasn't on any in hospital but my GP put me back on metformin 500mg twice daily once I got home.  I'm down to 1/2 tablet twice daily and I go for another A1C at the end of the month and if it's gone down or stayed the same that may be it for me!!!!  My last A1C was only 5.9, the best it's been in a few years!!!

I hope both of you feel better real soon.

Most Active