Vancouver Island WLS patients

MyTurn2012
on 12/27/12 9:41 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15

Hi..I'm wondering how many pre and post op patients there are here on VI?  It would be great to start a support group for people north of Duncan.  I'm going back to see my surgeon next month in Victoria, my 2nd preop visit. I've lost 15 lbs but worry this is not enough..I'm feeling a little lost with the expectations pre surgery. I've had all the tests done already..essentially waiting for a surgery date. I began this process Oct 2011, saw the surgeon in June..had all the tests in August and saw the NUT in Oct.

I didn't find the NUT all that helpful, no real direction as to what I should be concentrating on. I am on MFP..it's been a learning curve and a bit of procrastination...I think all of this uncertainty has played heavily on my mind.  Now I'm in a bit of panic mode..second guessing what was expected of me. The surgeon didn't say I want you to lose 50 lbs by Jan and here's how to do it..it was more a off hand comment we'll see what you do on you own.  I am on OH at least every day if not 2x's..have read/researched lots...I am planning on the VGS.   I think I would have been much more successful if I had support and guidance.

J R.
on 4/24/13 9:12 am

HI there;  I'm post OP from November 2012.  I had the RNY.  Down 81lbs so far.  I was on the wait list for 6 years before I got my date.  I found the best thing was to just put it out of your head and live your life.  With regards to losing it on your own I can only speak for my surgeon's expectations which were just to see progress.  For him it was all about behaviour modification. If you can control your eating, exercise, and lifestyle choices pre op chances are you can control them post op as well.  They know you're contemplating WLS because you have trouble losing weight so they aren't expecting huge losses, cause lets face it if you could do that on your own you wouldn't be thinking WLS so they just want to see the shift in lifestyle.  keep a food diary, but most importantly keep an exercise journal so you can show what you're doing physically even if you aren't losing weight.  Not sure where you are located but lots of areas have a WLS support group.  there is one in nanaimo  but there's lots of support to be found here and if you like I'm happy to chit chat with you whenever you like too... good luck!!!

Cthulie
on 3/4/14 9:36 am - Nanaimo, Canada

Hi there, I'm in nanaimo and looking to start my journey. Which sure on did you see and did it get covered?

Frankie82
on 4/21/14 4:24 pm
RNY on 08/07/14

MSP will cover the gastric sleeve and RNY, but will not cover the lap band. The wait times are a bit crazy; my referral went in fall 2010 and I might have surgery this year, probably next.

Frankie82
on 4/21/14 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/07/14
Most Active