Orientation Date

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/9/16 5:16 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I am scheduled for my orientation at RJH on March 21. I am so happy.

Is anyone else attending the same day?

Rhiannon

High W: 265 Surgery W: 208 Current W: 160 Goal W: 135

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

thinguy
on 3/10/16 12:42 pm
VSG on 10/10/14

Congratulations! 

I had my surgery in October 2014, and lost 85 lbs by August 2015, and now I within reach of my goal weight.  The surgery is a great tool, as long as you are willing to follow the rules.

The rules are the guidelines that the team supplies you with, good eating habits, exercise etc.  As long as you follow their guidelines, everything will be great.

Life is awesome without the extra weight.   So glad I did it.  It is a great tool (surgery).

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/10/16 8:34 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you for the support and great advice and congrats to you on your success.

I've already made some big changes; cut out caffeine, salt and pop which I was addicted to for over 30 years. I've also been walking briskly for an hour a day and am about to start strength training and swimming.

Listening to the vets on this site is the best thing I can do for myself, so I really appreciate your input!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

rabgal
on 3/11/16 12:43 am

The orientation was full of great information; I brought a notebook along with and took a few pages of notes.  Carla does an excellent job.

I've been waiting for eons it seems since my referral originally went in to Dr Amson in the spring of 2013.  I finally saw him in December of 2014; he was 4 hours behind schedule and when I finally made it in we talked for about 3 minutes and he approved me for surgery, lol.  The bariatric program then went through a restructure so it was like going back to square one.

I was scheduled for the orientation in June 2015. In October 2015 I met up with Dr Z (she is sooooo awesome) and Carla again.  I've been using MyFitnessPal to log my diary and brought a printout to my appointment.  Dr Z  put me on the approved list (the old Amson list wasn't valid anymore). I also started taking Saxenda on Dr Z's recommendation. We met again in January 2016 to go over my diary and commitment and the last 3 months. At that appointment they asked if I was interested in a different surgeon as Dr Amson's list  is so large. Since I only met him for 3 minutes,  I said sure.

I have my next appointment with Carla and Dr Z on April 8th.  I also just got a call from Christina with Dr Lam's office.  She was so kind on the phone.  I'm booked to meet with Dr Lam on April 11th and I'm to bring my food and exercise journal along.  My fiance and I will make a weekend of it as we live 3 hours away from Victoria.

I'm now just waiting for my local hospital lab to call me for an upper GI exam (yucky!) All my other tests have been done.

I feel like I'm almost there I * crosses fingers *

I'm really hoping things go well meeting the surgeon, Dr Lam and that it means I'm closer.  I'm getting married in June and had hoped to have had it already but alas ... I'm still wwaiting patiently ;)

Cheers,

Sam

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/11/16 12:32 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Hi Sam,

That's quite the journey you've had so far.

I have been waiting since July 2014 and this invite to the orientation is the first I've heard from anyone. I have not yet met Dr. Amson but I'm so grateful to have made this initial contact as I have several comorbidities and I'm getting very concerned about my health.

How do you find the Saxenda?

It sounds like you're really close to getting your surgery. Good luck and best wishes that it'll happen quickly!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

rabgal
on 3/12/16 2:01 am

Hi Rhiannon!  Things definitely start moving once you get into the orientation so I'm so happy that you're set with a date for that now.  I'm sorry to hear about your health concerns and hope those will ease with the surgery as well :(   

I've definitely found the Saxenda has helped curb my appetite a tad.  It is worth trying if Dr Z suggests it for you as well.  I notice our starting weights are quite similar so I wouldn't be surprised if she suggests that.  It's a good baby-step way to prep the body.  Over the past few years my health has been hampered by my weight.  I'm coping with Fibromyalgia, Osteo Arthritis and Obstructive Sleep Apnea - I'm really hoping the surgery will ease some of the difficulties I experience with those.  It's hard to know if the weight has impacted the disorders or is it the disorders that have impacted the weight.  Some days it's difficult to get out of bed due to pain and exhaustion to even get dressed let alone get exercising.  More baby steps I suppose ;)

AnImperfectAngel
on 3/12/16 9:47 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Hi Sam,

It sounds like were going through some similar health stuff. I also have chronic pain and exhaustion. So much so that I've been off work since the end of November which drives me crazy because I love working but I have no choice, I literally can't. Most of my days right now are spent in bed.

A couple of weeks ago I found out I also have pre-diabetes, mild sleep apnea and kidney problems. Geez, it sounds like I'm a hundred years old!

The good news is that surgery/weight loss will take care of most of the problems and should prevent further kidney damage.

Are you using the cpap machine and if so, what's it like? I'm going to pick up mine next week.

I would love it if we could keep in touch and support each other!

Rhiannon

VSG Surgery May 30, 2017

Jibledoe
on 3/15/16 6:33 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

I met with Dr. Lam at the end of January and my surgery is in 3 weeks, it moves quickly when you get to this point.  Don't be nervous Dr. Lam is really nice, she doesn't rush you in or out, and answered all my questions.

Odettework
on 3/15/16 8:21 pm

wow thats crazy fast!!! I hope my appt with dr.malik in april, goes as well as yours. Congrats how exciting!! and Id like to keep in touch with all of you.

I have finally purchased my CPAP ..have not had a chance to really use it was I have been sick..and just could not tolerate it! It does take some getting used to, I felt at the end of my trial, it began to feel good. So hope it is effective for you!

Most Active