LOOKING FOR INFORMATION

lovecupca
on 11/3/05 10:03 am - Nakusp, Canada
HI EVERYONE I AM LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON INSURANCE CARRIERS THAT COVER THE SURGERY I LIVE IN BC AND HAVE BC MEDICAL I WAS WONDERING IF THIS INSURANCE COVERS THE SURGERY ANYONE HAVING ANY INFO PLEASE CONTACT ME AT [email protected] ALSO IF YOU COULD TELL ME WHO THE SURGEONS ARE THAT DO THE SURGERY THANKS FOR ANY INFO ANYONE CAN SEND ME DENA
dbaigent1
on 12/15/05 4:39 am - Burlington, Canada
Dena, Hi, I live in Ontario, but I am from BC. I had WLS (a duodenal switch) in June 2005 that was covered by OHIP (Ontario Medical). My grandfather was previously approved to go to the US to have heart bypass surgery. He was approved by BC Medical because his doctor wrote a letter that said a delay in receiving surgery in BC would result in an increased risk of death. This same stratedgy of getting doctors to write letters is what has got me and thousands of others in Ontario approved for WLS in the US. Don't give up; do your research, fight, research some more and fight some more until you win. If you get anywhere about finding others in BC who were approved to go to the US for WLS, contact me ([email protected]) as I have a brother in Prince George who is morbidly obese and staring to think about surgery. Also remember to do your research about the different types of WLS (ther are 20 types of surgery available). After much research I concluded that the best chances of long term sucess were if I had a duodenal switch instead of the more common RNY and Lapband procedures. I have lost 140 lbs so far this year and am only 60 lbs from my goal weight. Good luck in your journey. David
lmsmith
on 1/2/06 3:57 am - Burnaby, Canada
My brother was approved in October to have LAP RNY done outside of Canada. Our Dr. wrote him a letter saying that his life was in jeopardy if he didnt' have the surgery and the whole thing was paid for. He chose to go to Mexico to get it done by Dr Joya. I just had mine done on Dec 16 by the same Dr. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16 Dr Joya, PV Mexico 247/218/147
MLM
on 1/4/06 8:36 am - Quebec City, Canada
Your brothers doctor wrote a letter to who? Where's your brother from? Thanks, just curious.
lmsmith
on 1/4/06 9:00 am - Burnaby, Canada
We are from Burnaby. He was seeing Dr Woodhead in Delta who was going to do the surgery, but was never able to attain his hospital rights for this surgery. Dr Woodhead wrote the letter to BC Medical and sent it in to out of country pre-approval. It took 2 weeks and he got his answer back saying he could go out of country. Leanne LAP RNY - Dec 16 Dr Joya, PV Mexico 246/218/146
MLM
on 1/4/06 9:51 am - Quebec City, Canada
Wow, that is fabulous. Do you mind me asking, what made his life in jeopardy? I had no idea that they would do that... to Mexico, nevertheless. Was it the same for you? or did you self pay? Thanks, Mandi
Most Active