Leg Cramps from Caffeine, even de-caf?

Nancy H.
on 9/17/08 5:10 am - CA
HI Everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I lurk, and now I have a question. I am at goal and staying there just fine, under even, but I get leg cramps at night even before bed. I thought maybe it was dehydration or lack of potassium or magnesium, but I take those every day. I was in Costa Rica for 3 weeks and was cramp free. I drank no decaf lattes down there and had only a little bit of sugar-free hot chocolate. So now I am trying to stay away from de-caf and for 3 days I have had no cramps.

Does anyone else know anything about this? I still fear they will come back, and if they do I will call my doctor, but good advice is always good.

Keep up all your good losing ways, my friends. It is so worth it in the end.

Thanks,  nancy

Rachelq
on 9/17/08 8:44 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Hi Nancy,
Costa Rica? Hope you had a blast.

I don't know much on the subject except that there isn't really a totally decafinated coffee out there. The chain type shops have tested with high levels of caffeine in their 'decaf'. So those may be blocking your ability to absorb calcium.

Also, did you swim a lot in costa rica? That is a great, natural way to alleviate nocturnal leg cramps.

Hope that helps,
Rachel
angelsecho
on 9/17/08 11:37 am, edited 9/17/08 11:38 am
Hi, Nancy--

Caffeine is mentioned as a possible cause at this site:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/707090.html

. . . which has lots of other good info, too.

Julia (AKA angelsecho) 

sarah141
on 9/18/08 2:24 am - Fort Bragg, CA
I get leg cramps when I'm dehydrated & caffeine is a natural diuretic, so........I always drink more water if I have anything with caffeine!  Best Wishes!
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

Most Active