Too much weight loss

Diane W.
on 4/19/11 9:24 am - Los Banos, CA
I am 6 years post-RNY and although my goal weight was 160, I am at 136 and am concerned it won't stop. I eat regular meals and extra snacks. I mention it at my yearly visits and they say I am a success story. Maybe so, but I don't want to lose any more weight. Any ideas?
bebaugh
on 4/19/11 10:26 am - Merced, CA
Wow you are 6 years out and still losing weight. It is normal with RNY to lose to  much and then put some back. You may want to add healthy carbs into your diet. That is what my doc told me to do. Now I need to cut back on them. If you are really worried press your doc to do some testing.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

Diane W.
on 4/20/11 10:31 am - Los Banos, CA
Thanks for your reply. I didn't know it was normal to lose too much. I have been increasing quantities of carbs and even more this week as I am on Spring break. Did you lose too much and then gain some back?
bebaugh
on 4/20/11 1:27 pm - Merced, CA
I lost too much. I have put about 10 back on and I look so much better. I even feel better. My friends and husband were starting to worry about  me. I have to start being careful now. I weigh 125 now. I am 5'4" and that is a good weight or me.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

MacMadame
on 4/20/11 6:34 pm - Northern, CA
I don't know if it's normal to lose too much but some people do it. (Some never get to goal and some stop at a just right point.) I got pretty thin but then my fat redistributed at the same weight so I was happy. Then I went up a bit and I wasn't happy but I still looked good. Then I started heavy weight lifting and went up a lot but it's all muscle so my clothes are loose and I look great.

My point is that it's not necessarily the number on the scale that determines if you are "too" thin. You may be below your goal weight but look fantastic and you could be the same weight and be unhealthy. It just depends on your body composition. What's your BMI, btw?

Basically, you have to learn to eat foods that are higher in calories for the same volume. So don't eat all the "diet" versions of things, eat nuts and cheese, etc.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Diane W.
on 4/21/11 2:53 pm - Los Banos, CA
My BMI is 21. Nobody comments that I'm too thin. I haven't been this weight since college in 1976. Then I was in overeater's anonymous and had lost 40 lbs. Had to do some shopping today to buy smaller pants. I definitely don't have any muscle.
MacMadame
on 4/23/11 6:43 am - Northern, CA
Your BMI is what the Met Life charts consider to be perfect. Statistically, you have the best chance of longevity at that weight.

I think you just need to get used to it. My original goal was 145 pounds and now I'm 120 pounds. I actually got down to 109 at one point. My ribs and spine were showing so I'm glad I didn't stay there. But I'm glad I didn't stop at 145 pounds either.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Diane W.
on 4/25/11 1:08 pm - Los Banos, CA
OK. Thank you for the reassurance.
Tammy Douglas
on 4/25/11 2:39 pm - Los Angeles, CA
I just moved to Tarzana, Ca. I am 5 years RNY and am battling keeping a healthy weight also. I suffer from not enough water, favorite diet and limited food tolerances resulting in the need for supplements... This includes healthy carbs not bread, pasta, pizza,.... but A tree/plant new to california also called Moringa. I can get you a tree of your own and leaf powder.. I love it. It is a whole food, all natural, organic and has all 8 amino acids, protein, calcium and carbs and all kinds of stuff..

Most Active