Considered Lapband but need insurance advice

Akaleela
on 9/28/13 8:42 am - Palmdale, CA
Hi everyone. So I have L. A. Care insurance and wanted to know if anybody that have or had this insurance that had gastric or lap band surgery? What was your journey like and what would you reccomend for me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
QoftheU
on 10/17/13 3:00 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Just found this, BUT, if you still are wondering about surgery, respond to this for some input from a LapBand patient getting a revision.
Good Luck!

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Akaleela
on 10/17/13 3:11 pm - Palmdale, CA
Yes I am still interested
QoftheU
on 10/17/13 3:36 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hi Akaleela! Nice to meet you!
So, what I have to say may NOT be what you want to hear. How do I know this? Because I was in your position three years ago... questioning which WLS to get.

So here's my story: I wanted WLS but was scared about doing anything too "drastic" or "permanent" (even though I wanted the weight loss to be permanent - silly me!). So when I heard about the LapBand and all it "promised", I said, Yup, that's for me. I had decided and that was that. NO ONE could talk me out of it... I was determined to lose weight once and for ever. HA! There were PLENTY of people here in various forums advising AGAINST the band... I didn't listen - talk to the hand baby! And I made sure they knew that it was WRONG of them to say bad and mean things about the Band cuz it was demoralizing for those who had chosen it. Silly me... oh how I wish I had listened. Three years later here I am - with a FAILED LapBand and getting revision surgery in December. All of this could have been avoided (and I'd be at goal no doubt) if I had only listened... and here's what I should have heard: LapBands suck. They have a high fail rate, you can eat around them, and frankly it's a sad attempt to do WLS half-assed. I remember about a year ago arguing with my doctor that it just felt like another way to diet! He was telling me all I could eat and if I just got restriction (I NEVER did... I can eat ANYTHING... and I mean it - I can eat a whole burger, fries and shake NO PROBLEM.. and my band is filled!****pt telling him, how is this ANY different than the thousand and one diets I've tried??? Well, it isn't. And I feel he SOLD it to me. It has such a high failure rate that many doctors won't even do them anymore (my new surgeon won't). Hell, even the MAYO CLINIC won't do them anymore and recently I heard that the entire country of INDIA won't do them anymore! So... from a failed LapBander I say - do not do this surgery. Yes, it works for some but it takes a PHENOMENAL amount of self-discipline.. and if I had THAT I wouldn't be fat, would I?

Sorry if this was not what you wanted to here or is too negative, but I feel I need to pay it forward to make up for all those people I was too stubborn to listen too.

Good Luck and let me know if there are any more questions you have.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Akaleela
on 10/17/13 4:20 pm - Palmdale, CA
Thanks for the advice. I wish you well in your reversal.
Most Active