getting discouraged -- help

terridakdal
on 6/22/06 9:44 pm - Waterford, CT
Hi everyone... I am getting really discouraged about weight gain. I have been sticking to the program pretty well and okay -- exercise isn't what it should be, but I have started back this week with my yoga and need to get out there and walk too. For the last 3 months, I have been having big trouble with my periods. I have had some tests this week and although the doc says it will be a few days for the results, i just may need to have surgery to correct it. So I don't know if that could be part of the problem, but it is really getting me down to see the scale going up. i have gained 7 lbs in the last 3 months and though i can attribute some of it to my own doing, I really can't say I have been so totally off track for this to keep happening. I have been tracking my food on fitday and i am averaging about 1100 cals. I do see that my carb count could be lower, so I am trying to eliminate as much as possible. I guess I need some encouragement here because it is times like these that I just get so bummed that I throw in the towel and give up. any advice or suggestions??? thanks terri
jjesse
on 6/23/06 12:12 am - bristol, CT
Hi Terri- Us women know that the water retention goes along with the periods and seeing how your off and having trouble with them the water is sticking along for the ride. Seeing is how you are tracking your food and such you know how many cals. and carbs. your getting so you have the numbers to do the math. I'm not sure of the exact number, but there is 3,000 plus calories in a pound. That is fact and this is where I can lend some encouragement here. You know full well you haven't consumed thousands of extra calories so just trust your body that it is adjusting the fluid level and is just working it's magic to keep you steady. Do't be to afraid of the carbs. The number of carbs amoung a total consumption of 1100 cals. a day should not be counter productive. Don't throw in the towel Terri. I know when I'm to hard on myself it effects not only myself but others around me.[moody]. Your body is just taking care of itself. Hope this helps you some. I'm going to the picnic maybe I'll see you there.----Jesse
terridakdal
on 6/23/06 3:36 am - Waterford, CT
thanks Jesse. I know that this is probably all connected.... I need to stay off the scale while this is happening and rely upon my tools and trust them more than the number. It is scary though. thanks for the encouragement... hope to see you tomorrow. terri
Kathy K.
on 6/23/06 12:22 am - Waterford, CT
RNY on 10/18/04 with
Hey Terri, How much you load of water per day? Mine is almost 100 oz or more per day You need to build up more Cardio intake instead of walking or yoga... Here are few tips Go buy exercise ball and 5 or 7 pounds of weight lift at Walmart and buy two big balls for your girls I can show you how to do abs sit up and weight up and other things with this exercise ball. You can do it with girls at home. I will show you how to build up cardio with this exercise ball. Do that four times a week plus walking on other day STAY AWAY FROM CARBS and force more vegetables, cheese things, cold shrimps, lunch meats etc.. for snacks . Possible from your periods or your stress to cause few gains but I promise you if you follow this then you will lose weight and feel better. That is one of my fears is REGAINS back so I keep exercise 5 or 6 times a week to keep my peace of mind to keep my shape up. You can do it Do you want me to bring exercise call to picnic party so I can show you Hugs Kathy K
terridakdal
on 6/23/06 3:41 am - Waterford, CT
Hi Kathy, I am getting in about 48-64 oz of water per day. I have just worked my way up to that amount recently, so I am working on increasing it. But I have been trying to water load b4 meals with about 8 oz as fast as I can and it helps. I know... you are so right.. I really need to increase my exercise. I am not doing enough cardio. I am getting the bowflex back online tonight so I can do my weight resistance with that. I will go out to buy the ball tonight. You did show me some exercises with it, but would be interested in seeing what cardio exercises you mean. If you don't mind carrying the ball along to the picnic.... that would be great. If I can get mine and pump it up in time... I will bring mine too. thanks terri
Kathy K.
on 6/23/06 6:21 am - Waterford, CT
RNY on 10/18/04 with
Okay Terri I will bring my exercise ball , medicine ball ( 5 ) , weight (2 pounds) with me . Remind me when you want me to show you then I will show you how to build up cardio with exercise ball. It is fun exercise and your girls will love it! Hugs Kathy K
KimmieC
on 6/23/06 2:06 am - Milford, CT
Hey Terri, I know exactly what your going through. I am almost 18mths out and the scale is not moving down, it keeps going up and then down. Its driving me nuts. I went to the doctor and they gave me advice about lowering my portion amounts and eating more times a day instead of three go to six. Waterloading was another suggestion along with more cardio type exercise too. Jesse the assistant there suggested for me to see the nutritionist to see maybe if I am eating the wrong things which I know I was. Have to load up again on more protein and veggies. No more carbs for me. I was also doing too much sugar free junk too. No more of that either. My periods get worse and worse every month and my gyn said it could be my iron levels or the beginning of my change, which I am too too young for yet. So I went for blood work to see if I am anemic or if my iron is low. Will find out soon. So hang in there sweetie, you will get through this. I am here for you if you ever need a shoulder as you know from our other support site with Joanie. We will all chate tomorrow at the picnic to help get through this. I cant wait to see you and all our OH friends. Its going to be a blast. Take care and keep your chin up. Love ya Hugs KimC
Dorota C.
on 6/23/06 12:26 pm - newington, CT
RNY on 06/08/05 with
Let's see terri, last 3 months you have been having trouble with your period, and the last 3 months you have gained seven pounds. .hmmmmm...hmmmmm.,,,coinsidence? I think not...I know it is not fun seeing that scale creep up, but I find that my monthly cycle can ""help""me put on as much as 7 or 8 pounds ....this happens each and every month....by the end of the month, those pounds are gone, but they come back each and every month...In my case it is partly water weightgain, and partly that I am more regular during certain times of the month and have less regular b.m.s at a certain time...so it all adds up...Please do increase your water intake, and cutting carbs can be good (although it can also make you less regular...)...so make sure you have enough fiber if you are cutting down on the carbs,,citrucel works great...,but don't give up....try your best, and don't beat yourself up over little slips....when I was having a hard time earlier in the week, I got some good advice..."we should be good 80% of the time"....the other 20% we can allow ourselves some flexibility...`Hang in there, You are doing great..You look amazing, please don't get discouraged... Love, Dorota
terridakdal
on 6/23/06 11:06 pm - Waterford, CT
thanks for the great suggestions Dorota. I worked really hard a****er intake yesterday and got up to 68 oz. It is hard when my emotions are all out of whack because of my female troubles.... you know... One minute i feel optimistic and the next, it's the end of the world. UGH! Anyway, thank you and everyone *****sponded to me on and off the list. terri
Most Active
Recent Topics