October 21st

Leigh A.
on 10/1/03 1:46 am - Claymont, DE
I have a new surgery date! They have moved my date up to October 21st instead of October 30th. Yeah! I can't wait. I'm still a little scared, though. Please pray for me.
Jessica B.
on 10/1/03 2:07 am - Ellendale, DE
Leigh ~ That is wonderful!! Oct. 21st is my goal to have a surgery date set!! (and also my birthday!!) I wish you the best of luck on your way to becoming a "loser" !!! ~ Jessica
Leigh A.
on 10/1/03 2:57 am - Claymont, DE
Hi Jessica... thanks for the wishes of luck. When is your 2nd appt with changing lives? That is when you will get your surgery date. I love changing lives' program. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask. Happy Birthday.
Jessica B.
on 10/1/03 5:27 am - Ellendale, DE
Leigh ~ I don't have my 2nd appointment yet, I had my sleep study last night and that is the last of the test results we are waiting for, I hope . Tina said once we get the results we will be able to schedule my 2nd appointment. Plus, I've been having some insurance difficulties over the last week.... So, I have just put it in my mind that things will turn around for the best with lots of prayers by Oct. 21st.... (I'm trying to be optimistic!!!) Thanks for your support ~ Jessica
franbvan
on 10/1/03 9:50 am - harrington, de
Leigh i am sooooooo happy for you! i know you have been waiting a long time, but the 21st will be here very quickly. some of the things i did while waiting were cleaning out my closets and draw, getting rid of clothing that i knew i would not fit into, made a special place in a kitchen cabinet for wls friendly foods, deep cleaned my whole house(because you won't be able to do it for awhile) and i love to window shop and look at all the new styles that i will be able to were. i will be so happy to go into a store and buy something i like instead of buying something just because it's the only thing that fits! haha i am so happy for you and if you need any support or to ask any questions i'm here for you. fran van
Leigh A.
on 10/1/03 10:30 pm - Claymont, DE
Thank you sooooo much for the support. I do have alot of questions, since I have the same doctor, like what does your body feel like when you wake up? What do they make you do to be able to go home? Do I have to bring anything besides my personal items and my menu to the hospital? I'm very nervous, but very excited.
franbvan
on 10/2/03 6:54 am - harrington, de
i wouldn't take anything except your toothbrush and hairbrush with you to the hospital. they have everything else you need. i took my own night gown but never used it. it was much easier to use the hospital gowns(they are very very big) because they open from the top. this way when they check you , you don't have to pull your night gown up(moving the first 2 days is kind of hard). also it was easier not to wear panties because i couldn't pull them up or down without help. i also asked for a peri-bottle(squirt bottle) to help clean myself when going to the bathroom because i couldn't bend to wipe...i rather be damp and clean than not fresh haha. when i woke up i did feel some pain, but it was mostly retractor pain and it was taken care of with the meds quickly. they didn't mention that i had to do anything special in order to leave the hospital. you don't get food untill the last day(mashed potatoes, minced hamburger meat). i didn't feel like eating i only wanted to drink my ice cold water. most of the time you are in there you will be sleeping because of the meds. i did bring books on tape but i was so sleepy i didn't even use them or watch tv. i asked for no vistors because i was too out of it and it took alot of effort even to think staight and hold even a small conversation. i only wanted peace and pain meds lol
Leigh A.
on 10/3/03 12:25 am - Claymont, DE
Thanks for the info.... but I still have a ton more questions . Bear with me, please. Did they start you on the protein and Vitamins in the hospital? Where were you when you woke up from surgery? When did they begin walking you? Were you in a private or semi private room? Thanks....
franbvan
on 10/3/03 2:18 am - harrington, de
i woke up in my semi private room. they didn't give any vitamins in the hospital, but they did give me 2 oz. of a protein shake and i never drank it. they aren't concerned if you eat or not in the hospital (and neither will you) they just want you to drink your water. you will feel no hungry for about the first week so you won't notice you aren't eating. when you drink your water you have to take small raindrop size sips. if you feel nauseaous because of meds you have to ask for something because they can't guess you are nauseaous(doc told me this). i only asked one time. you will have a cath in your bladder for 2 days to make sure your kidneys are working correctly so you won't have to go to the bathroom during that time. i started walking the first 8 hours and then i kept walking everytime i was awake. this helped soooooooo much. the woman in the room with me didn't walk at all and had alot of gas pain, but when she saw i was walking alot she started and felt much better. don't worry about taking slippers with you either. this is kind of gross but.... they have something on the toilet to measure your urine and if you don't hit it just right (and i do have good aim haha) the urine will go on the floor. both my roommate and myself had problems with this. the hospital gives you these slipper sock things so you don't mess up your own(and they will give you more if you need them).
Leigh A.
on 10/3/03 3:33 am - Claymont, DE
Fran... one more question... (for now anyway, I'm sure I'll have a million more tomorrow) Dr. Smoot said that my husband should be able to stay with me (in my room) around the clock while I am in the hospital. Is this true? It's a level of comfort that I need. I basically do not want him to leave my side.
Most Active