Let's do a poll: Do you drink protein shakes?

Lori Black
on 7/22/09 11:29 pm, edited 7/22/09 11:43 pm - , IN

Okay, after my long assed post below, I thought it would be interesting to see how many of us are doing protein shakes.  After everything I've been through, I can tell you honestly that I vow to NEVER stop drinking protein shakes again.  They make me feel like a completely different person!!  I know there are some that would rather lick a monkey butt than drink a shake, but I'm curious, how many of us are drinking shakes?

So, how far out are you, and how many shakes do you drink a day?

Lori

ETA: I'm 2 years out and drink 5-6 protein drinks per day

Mary_J
on 7/22/09 11:37 pm
I used to drink at least 2 a day, but have run into issues with my favorite giving me 'issues'!  I'm bummed and trying to figure out what works and what doesn't, cuz I really miss having them.  Champion gave me problems from about the beginning, but got worse, and my staple IDS Belgian Chocolate has now become a problem.  I'm trying the IDS Cinnamon Vanilla today, to see if all the IDS is going to be a problem, or all whey, or WTF!

5' 5" -  317.5 / 132 / 134  SW / CW / GW

Lori Black
on 7/22/09 11:42 pm - , IN
Champion started giving me gas issues around 15 months out and I went to an All Whey protein shake called Sci-Fit.  It wasn't nearly as tasty, but because it didn't have all of the added preservatives and what have you in the Champion, it gave me NO gas issues at all.  When I went back on shakes 6 weeks ago, I went back to Champion and now it no longer bothers me.  Go figure.  We're forever changing, so don't be afraid to experiment with it when you're further down the road again.  Hope the IDS works for you!

Lori
T H.
on 7/22/09 11:39 pm, edited 7/22/09 11:40 pm - Bryantown, MD
Hi Lori,

I am 19 months out.

I don't drink a shake, but I DO drink a protein coffee every morning, which is:

A 24 ounce coffee, a lot of heavy cream, 1/3 packet of sf hot chocolate and a scoop of champion chocolate.  I add an ice cube in there before adding the scoop to cool it down some.

I know I usually get enough protein without it when I am home, but it starts my day off right and ensures me I WILL get enough protein.  I usually have 55 grams of protein in before 9am with the coffee.  I was in Dallas for about a week.  I was super busy and it wasn't convenient for the protein coffees so I felt like I struggled with my protein all week. 

From probably a week after surgery until about 6 months post op, I drank 2 "shakes" a day.. they were more like shots.  4 ounces of very cold water, 1.5 scoop.  Nasty but I got them down.

Teri

The only place were success comes before work is in the dictionary

Lori Black
on 7/22/09 11:51 pm - , IN
Teri,

I'm with you, it's nice to boost up your protein numbers with shakes.  When I had slacked off from having shakes, I was really stuffing myself with food just to meet the requirements.  Now I just get all of my protein from shakes and the protein from my foods is just bonus.

I haven't ever tried protein in coffee b/c I'm not a coffee drinker.  I do, however, LOVE to get Starbucks frappuccino's and have them add 6 scoops of protein powder when I'm out and about without my protein in hand!

Lori
maryc543
on 7/23/09 2:28 am
I also don't drink coffee....  what's a frappuccino?  I always thought it was just coffee with some add ins!  Have I been missing something???   And Starbucks carries a protein powder you can add????   hmmmm,   I usually just avoid Starbucks because I HATE paying $4 for a ho****er and a tea bag....  they don't even brew their tea from loose leaves for that price!!!   BUT   if I could expand my horizons.  I'm willing!   Thanks,  Mary

DS Part 1 (VSG) 11/14/06 DS Part 2 12/18/07
HW 430 SW 400 CW 210 GW 170 Blog: lifeisgood-mc.blogspot.com

Lori Black
on 7/23/09 4:21 am - , IN
Hi Mary,

A frappucchino is just a coffee shake.  I believe they make it with espresso and milk, blend it with ice, they add my caramel and 6 scoops of protein and I have a 30g protein shake!  It is $5 but I'm not *****in' about it when I'm out and about and can't get home to my protein!  They are SUPER yummy!  Kind of like an iced coffee slushie!  Great, now I want one!  Lol!

Lori
dtabor5
on 7/22/09 11:42 pm
i use Carnation instant breakfast a couple times a day

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!

T H.
on 7/22/09 11:44 pm - Bryantown, MD
Denise,

I used carnation instant breakfast too right after surgery, but I added a scoop of unflavored unjury to mine to boost the protein. :)

Teri

The only place were success comes before work is in the dictionary

(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 11:43 pm
I do not drink protein drinks and I've decided it's time.

Anyone have suggestions on their favorite type? I'm pretty picky so I'm nervous I won't like them!

Thanks,
Tara
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 622 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 982 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 333 views