Let's do a poll: Do you drink protein shakes?

vitalady
on 7/23/09 5:44 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
*I* will be happy to help! Legs are too short to kick you upside the head when needed.

signed,

Nagging-my-specialty

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Lori Black
on 7/23/09 5:57 am - , IN
I can always depend on you Michelle!!!!!  THANK YOU for helping me get my butt back on track! 

Love you!

Lori
(deactivated member)
on 7/22/09 11:56 pm - Cumberland, IN
 I drink 3 a day now because of you!...lol.
Lori Black
on 7/22/09 11:59 pm - , IN
You got a little taste of my yummy chocolate concoction and now I have you under my spell, my little pretty!  Bwuahahaha!!! 
Aimee F.
on 7/22/09 11:58 pm - CA
I went through a huge tub of the Champion Chocolate, but I re-ordered the Mocha Cappucino because I was just mixing the choc with my coffee anyway.  I loved the sample of the mocha, but the stuff in the large container I ordered just doesn't mix as well - I have the little shaker cup, but I still get dry hunks.

Anyway, I try to get in two shakes per day.  i've also been making a fruit protein smoothie with all the wonderful fresh produce of the summer.  My fave was blueberries, strawberries, banana and a peach with plain designer whey!  And lots of water and ice...  Refreshing and lots of water too, not to mention vitamins!

I definitely think it's easier to drink the protein then trying to eat it - my sleeve is still very small, even at nearly 8 months post-op!

Thanks for the survey Lori!

SW: 222  GW:  150
Weigh-in date:  11/1/2009

Lisa (LuvMyKd) is my angel.
Kerry J.
on 7/22/09 11:58 pm - Santa Clara, UT
I'm just over 10 months and I usually drink two double scoop Pure Whey Stack shakes a day and I always have at least one double scooper. That means I get 50-100 grams of protein a day just from the protein shakes.

I'm with ya 1000% as to how much better I feel when I get my protein and because of what I'm doing these days, (PT work outs) I really have to make sure I get the 150 - 200 grams of protein every day.

As an aside to the protein shake thing; the owner of the fitness company who is also one of the women that trains me said she has never seen anyone build strength and stamina as fast as I have over the past two months. Now I realize that they have to be upbeat and positive to their customers to keep them coming back, but I've also seen the shock on their face when I do the full amount of reps or even more when they were expecting me to max out short of the rep goal. So I'm pretty sure there really is something to what they're saying. And I attribute the gains to the protein shakes I'm downing every day.

Another thing that's really strange in a very good way, is that since I started the training, I have not had any really sore muscles and I mean none. I've never experienced that before, any time in the past that I've started working out or changed my physical routine, I have had very sore muscles. I don't know if this has anything to do with all the protein, but I suspect it has some part to play.

Kerry
Lori Black
on 7/23/09 12:05 am - , IN
Kerry,

It's very encouraging to hear you say that you haven't suffered muscle soreness!  I've been really dragging my feet to get into a strength training program because I hate pain!  Maybe now I'll grow a pair and start lifting again!  Lol!  I'm glad your training is going so well!

Another thing that i've noticed with my protein drinks is that my muscle tone in general looks better, and my saggy skin is less saggy.  People often ask me if I work out, I've just started saying yes because no one ever believes me when I tell them that I don't! 

Lori
Kerry J.
on 7/23/09 12:15 am - Santa Clara, UT
Lori,

I think there are two things at play with the lack of muscle soreness; one is all the protein I'm taking in so there's plenty to rebuild muscle with and the second thing is that the trainers really stress and work with me for 10 miuntes after ever session doing nothing but stretching every muscle I've worked. It has been quite amazing to not have any muscle soreness, and it's not from lack of strenous work outs. Some days it takes me a couple of hours of being a vegetable to recover from the session. They are very tough and have very little time to rest or recover for the full 60 minutes of the session.

Anyway it all comes down to making sure you have plenty of protein available for your muscles to rebuild with and to make sure you stretch all your tired muscles after each session. I think the stretching must get rid of all the lactic acid build up.

Kerry
MarciRenee
on 7/23/09 12:20 am - IA
What saggy skin, you don't have any saggy skin!! 
Marci       
Lori Black
on 7/23/09 12:55 am - , IN
See?  The protein shakes are workin'! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 844 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1097 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 369 views