For The Vets: What's Your Thing? Tell What You Know.

divagoddess
on 8/2/09 1:07 am - Dayton, OH
I KNOW bacon.. LOL Bacon helps with my constipation. If I don't eat a crap load (pun intended) of fat, I don't poop. I am miserable.

My thing I am good at is understanding the whole- "I can't drink water". It is seriously something that happens. I even at rounding up on 2 years out (Oct) I have trouble with water. I can drink spring water. Not filtered. Not purified. Not tap. Anything but spring sits in my belly like a lead rock.

I also understand food intolerances. I had issues with onions til recently. I would violently vomit when eating them. My belly would bloat up horribley. I still get a bit bloaty, but I can eat them. Onions are in everything.
                             ~Brandy~                          
                            HW- 333 SW-306 CW- 144 GW-150     

Samaro ..
on 8/2/09 1:09 am

Drink.  Drink. Drink!  Keep yourself hydrated.  It felt like a full-time job when I was a fresh post-op but it made such a huge difference in how I felt and how my body behaved.

On my profile page I listed some things that help/helped me keep hydrated.

sia
on 8/2/09 1:13 am - NY
Rocksteady, Ladies!!  See how fabulous this?! People when they need help, they can come and ask people individually!! LOVE IT! 
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
Anna G.
on 8/2/09 1:14 am
I'm probably not a "vet" at 10 months out, and I don't really have a thing, but here are some random tips:

1. Order your fast food sandwiches without the bun, instead of just throwing the bun away. That way, they serve it in a box, not just wrapped in paper, which makes it easier to eat with a fork.

2. Pre-op, I had tons of clothes waiting for me to lose into them. I took the time to organize them by size, and that made "closet shopping" much easier post-op. It kept me from accidentally breezing on by a favorite outfit and minimized those "D'oh! I never got to wear it and now it's too big!" moments.

3. Pork rinds. High protein, no carb crispy treat. Yay! The vinegar & salt flavor is faboo. I couldn't tolerate them early out because they're so dry, but now they are a staple.

Yep, that was random. LOL

1MoreChance
on 8/2/09 2:58 am - AL
Don't have a thing!  What!  You are great at helping people with insurance (especially if it's self-funded) and I think you are a great encourager.  Pssht...don't have a thing...are you kidding?  Now, *I'M* the one that doesn't have a thing.  I'm just kinda...well...here.

Ronnie HW~205/SW~191/CW~119/GW~120-115

Renee2007
on 8/2/09 1:41 am - Central, FL
I know that your attitude is one of the biggest factors in your success. If you are always saying you can't do this or you can't do that, then you probably won't! If you sit around in self-pity you slow things down for yourself.

Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.  ~Winston Churchill

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

mspppants
on 8/2/09 2:25 am - Leicester, NC
I'm not a vet, but I'm good at talking to people who are freaking out about some aspect of their lives, including the DS.

And if you need a laugh, I can always say something outrageous to help you out.

pp

Lori Black
on 8/2/09 2:41 am, edited 8/2/09 2:42 am - , IN
Two words: 

PROTEIN SHAKES

'Nuff said. 

ETA:  Oops!  Two MORE words:

For Evermore!
MajorMom
on 8/2/09 2:53 am - VA
Protein shakes, babeeee!

1 - 20 oz shaker cup with wire ball
4 to 6 oz of 1/2 & 1/2, water, or soy milk
1 to 1 1/2 scoops of IDS Vanilla-Cinnamon protein powder (Champion Nutrition Chocolate, IDS Cappuccino, Nectar Cappuccino, etc.)
{shake} until blended
Add 9 to 10 oz of hot brewed coffee (decaf or reduced caffeine)
{stir}
Pour into large mug

Add hot liquid to cold liquid to avoid lumps. Keep the protein slurry below 160 degrees.

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

BeSwitched
on 8/2/09 3:01 am, edited 2/11/12 7:00 pm

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 618 views