What Can I Do with Queso Fresco & Queso Chihuahua???

MarciRenee
on 10/5/09 10:05 am - IA
I bought some of both thinking that I would do *something* with them!  Then I logged onto OH and can't find me posts about everyone raving about them.  I remember the raving, but not WHAT to do with them!

So idea as to what to do with either of them would be SWEET!  I also bought some chorizo too...HELP!
Marci       
Hey Jules
on 10/5/09 10:10 am
 I just cut a huge hunk of Chihuahua cheese of and nibble on that for my afternoon snack. YUMMY! I get cranky if I don't have it! Sorry I couldn't help any more!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/09 10:24 am
Marci,
from what I remember the Queso Fresco needs to be sliced and then fried in butter until browned.
I have tried that but to me it was to rubbery, I like my cheese either buttery or soft. But you may like it.

I have fixed Chorizo in with scrambled eggs and that is pretty good.

Experiment with the stuff you may come up with a whole new way of enjoying it.

Let us know how you like it.

Inge
Elizabeth N.
on 10/5/09 10:30 am - Burlington County, NJ
Slice the cheese and fry it gently till it's nice and crusty. If you want, chop a little chorizo into the cheese. YUM with or without chorizo.

Chorizo is very yummy chopped and simmered in tomatoes/tomato sauce.
scoob
on 10/5/09 11:22 am - Somerset, KY
I read this on here at one time and tryed it. It was delish.
Queso Freco fried in butter, then drizzle with sugar free pancake syrup.
Yummo, taste like French toast.

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

Vicki PNW
on 10/5/09 11:56 am
Saute the cheese in a skillet with real butter.  When the cooking side turns golden, flip it over.  When the other side also turns golden, then it is done and ready to be eaten!  Very filling!  Major YUMMO!!!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Nicolle
on 10/5/09 12:43 pm
Funny you should mention it, as I just had some chihuahua cheese tonight.

I usually buy shredded cheese, but the big circle hunks were on a major sale so I used that. Tasted the same as shredded.

I cut off little slivers of the hunk of cheese and put it in an oven-safe pan and melted it for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. I used tortilla chips to scoop it up and enjoy it. Salty, greasy, yum!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Guate Wife
on 10/5/09 2:10 pm - Grand Rapids, MI

I ate melted chihuahua & chips today, also --- twice!

So, Marci, melt & dip, as Nicolle has suggested.  Fry up the chorizo first (just like you would taco meat) and add that in, if you would like for a different taste & more protein.  It gets really greasy, but just drain it off.  Chorizo is just a spicy sausage.

Queso Blanco is what you should use for frying, it is MUCH better than queso fresco for this purpose.  I fry it in olive oil, not butter, but it is an individual taste thing.

Queso Fresco is a crumble cheese (the same texture as Feta, but not the same taste).  This is what I use on my tacos --- and I rarely make  'American tacos', I'm talking corn tortillas heated up, and used to wrap up meat, queso fresco and usually fresh salsa.  I also eat a lot of black beans, and throw in a LOT of queso fresco.  If I am eating meat (pork, beef, chicken, etc...), I usually just have a chunk of queso fresco on the side, and eat a chunk of it with each bite of meat.

I was a Latina in a former life, I just know it!

~ I am the proud wife of a Guatemalan, but most people call me Kimberley
Highest Known Weight  =  370#  /  59.7 bmi  @  5'6"

Current Weight  =  168#  /  26.4 bmi  :  fluctuates 5# either way  @  5'7"  /  more than 90% EWL
Normal BMI (24.9)  =  159#:  would have to compromise my muscle mass to get here without plastics, so this is not a goal.

I   my DS.    Don't go into WLS without knowing ALL of your options:  DSFacts.com

colene
on 10/5/09 3:50 pm
Queso Fresco is best when crumbled over the fillings of a taco or used in enchiladas.  For frying I like Queso Blanco or Queso Panir...their the same thing.  Fry them in real butter until browned and enjoy!  Queso Chihuahua as others posted is best known for the cheese dips made at many mexican restaraunts.  YUM....I like it when we cut up the queso chihuahua and top with some good salsa then melt and enjoy with chips. 

The chorizo is so good when you fry it then drop in eggs and cook til the eggs are done too.  Top with the queso fresco and eat them up!  In my house we make what the kids call frijoles charros....pintos cooked with ham hocks.  In a separate pan fry 1 pound of bacon til crispy and drain off most of the fat then add the chorizo and cook til crumbly, add 5 or 6 large chopped tomatoes, 1 large white onion chopped, and jalepenos to taste and cook til onions are softened.  Combine all with the beans and let cook for about 30 minutes longer then add one bunch of chopped cilantro and serve with tortillas, sour cream, queso fresco, and sour cream.....yummy!
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/09 12:10 am - PA
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 332 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 797 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views