How to get rid of ketosis smell?

beemerbeeper
on 2/23/10 9:56 am - AL
My friend says I stink.  She says it smells like ketosis.  How do I get rid of it?  I sure can't smell it.  It isn't gas.

How do you start adding carbs back without freaking out about gaining?

How embarrasing.

b

MajorMom
on 2/23/10 10:02 am - VA
Water, water, water and more water.

You don't want to add carbs back in. I'm confused. Why do you want to add carbs in?

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

beemerbeeper
on 2/23/10 10:40 am - AL
I thought the ketosis smell was from too few carbs?  I haven't been counting my water altho it seems like I am constantly drinking.  I will start counting my ounces tomorrow and see if I can increase it by quite a bit.

* Gail R *
on 2/23/10 10:19 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I don't think you can count on it being ketosis if you are not in a rapid weight loss period. I test my urine with ketostix and haven't had much ketosis since two weeks out of surgery.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

beemerbeeper
on 2/23/10 10:41 am - AL
If not ketosis then what is it?  Where do you find the ketostix?  I'm going to test.  Thanks for that idea.

Becky

* Gail R *
on 2/23/10 11:03 am - SF Bay Area, CA
I have them because my son and I are diabetic. I think they may be over the counter at the pharmacy-not certain though.  I can't hazard a guess as to what else it could be. This has been such a long dark damp winter that I found some of my clothing got sour smelling and I had to redo a lot of laundry. I am accustomed to my dogs odor but they can be stinky and maybe affect their owners scent? Guessing isn't a very good way to make friends....

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Dori_SF
on 10/13/10 2:35 pm - San Francisco, CA
Yes, you can get them at Walgreens, Rite-Aid, CVS or pretty much any pharmacy. There's a chance they may not have Ketostix brand onhand, but they usually have some sort of ketosis-measuring sticks available.

I'm a long-term lowcarber and, at least before surgery, was mostly in some level of ketosis whenever I tested... but nonetheless was stalled for a lot of the past 3 years or so. So you can be in ketosis without the scale showing loss.

Drinking more water helps ****il your urine is as light as possible) and so does adding a small amount of carbs - just enough until the testers show you're only in light ketosis. Usually the smell comes when your ketosis level is deeper (and the sticks show the darker levels). Brushing your tongue is helpful, too.

Good luck!
Dori

HW 410 / SW 345 / CW 310 / GW 175  height 5'10
happychick
on 2/23/10 10:20 am - Canada

Gina - Becky just reached goal so I assume that`s why she is asking about carbs.  Good for you Becky on avoiding them until now.....smart girl - wish I had waited!

As for the ketosis smell my daughter mentions from time to time that I have an odour and I too catch a whiff sometimes of what I consider a metallic kind of smell though the other day I could have sworn a small baby had thrown up on me!  Oh the joys of this journey.

Hope the water works for you Becky!

Cheers,
Mickie

beemerbeeper
on 2/23/10 10:41 am - AL
Me too.

Becky

Kerry J.
on 2/23/10 10:26 am - Santa Clara, UT
Not sure what your friend is smelling; when I had it Barb said my breath smelled different, but not really what she would call bad breath. As I understand it; most of the odor from ketosis comes out through your lungs; some may come through your pores. Breath mints and showers are the only things I know of to help get rid of it, other than drinking lots of water. Drinking lots of water helps wa**** through, showers wa**** off, breath mints hide it.

Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 315 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 779 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views