Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy w/Duodenal Switch VS Scopinaro's version of the procedure: ...

kitkat24
on 3/29/10 12:37 am
Scopinaro cut the stomach horizontally basically in half.  Scopinaro was somewhat like RNY in the way that it removes entirely the pyloric sphincter. 
SCOPINARO-1-1.jpg picture by KDoubleYa
See how Scopinaro just cut the stomach in half horizontally?  He still rerouted the intestines in somewhat the same manner as the DS, as I understand it.

scopinaro-01.gif picture by KDoubleYa

VERSUS VERTICAL SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY as follows:
VerticalSleeveGastrectomyVSG.jpg picture by KDoubleYa

So, I believe that the difference between SCOPINARO'S procedure and the BPD/Duodenal Switch of today are the alternations to the STOMACH vs the INTESTINES.

Scopinaro's procedure produced some of the VERY POOR results that are talked about today:  BUT ARE VERY DIFFERENT FROM 
DUODENAL SWITCH performed TODAY.

Scopinaro BAD

Duodenal Switch with Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy:  GOOD

Body by God; alterations by Buchwald.  I love Jesus.  I so so so appreciate my DS.

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/10 2:04 am - Yorktown, VA
Thanks for the clarification.  I've never really looked into the differences. 
mittenfarm
on 3/29/10 3:02 am - County Line, MI
Keeping the functional pyloric sphincter is one of the big reasons I had the DS. I do hope there aren't any doctors out there still doing the other procedure, or if there are, that people run far and fast the other way! Thanks for the clarification-been seeing posts about this last couple of days and wondered what the difference was.
-Wanda

Highest -380  Surgery- 345     Goal- 150   Current-150     5 ft. 8 in.

vitalady
on 3/29/10 12:32 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
And the remaining stomach was huge, as much as 10 oz.

in his version, the common channel could be as short as 20cm. Yes, appx 10"

Later BPDs made the stomach more like 7 oz and 100cm common channel. However, many didn't do well because the theory is: since they could eat so much volume, the malabsorption wasn't really a problem.

Yes, as a mater of fact, I know a bunch of them.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 357 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 815 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views