Tinkering with the idea of going completely sugar free

Lori Black
on 4/5/10 9:55 pm - , IN
I have known from Michelle (Vitalady) and others for quite some time that one of the most effective ways to keep our weight off for a long time after WLS is by avoiding sugar.  I know for sure that I don't want to go through the pain/mental anguish of a major regain, I'd have to be committed and make leather belts for eternity if I did.  I've already attempted and accomplished the gluten-free thing, so I know I have the strength to do this.  I'm curious if cutting out the sugar will allow my body to lose the 10 pounds that I'd like to lose.  My main diet is awesome, it's the exras in the sugar department that seem to be bombarding my attempts to lose. I'm not good with moderation when it comes to sugar, so I feel that cutting it out completely is my only real choice.   I eat bacon, seafood, chicken, red meat a couple of times a week, nuts, edamame, salads, very few cooked veggies other than green beans, protein shakes, and cheese. (Can't forget my coffee with heavy cream!)  I can only imagine that once I boot the sugar from my life that I will lose again.  I'm not doing this as an attempt to lose weight, but rather to maintain for the long term.  I'm not unhappy with my weight now, but I'm not wanting to gain anymore.  I just don't want to slide back into old habits, and sugar was the main reason I got obese to begin with. 

I guess my reason for posting this is for accountability.  You guys have been here for me in the past, and I could really use some strength to get through this.  I'm not asking anyone to jump on the bandwagon, just needed to put my plan out there in the open so I'll follow through with it.  My husband is off work today and starting new things is never a good idea when he is off work.  So my goal is to end my relationship with sugar tomorrow.  (Wednesday) 

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can......

Lori
Nicolle
on 4/5/10 10:01 pm
Well, you know I love you Lori, and if this is what you want to do, I support you.

I think someone will have to pry a Reese's cup out of my dead hands before I will give up sugar completely, but I support you!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

amccu18007
on 4/5/10 10:04 pm - Newark, DE
You can do it Lori! How hard was it to go gluten free?
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

Lori Black
on 4/5/10 11:17 pm - , IN
It was hard at first to figure out all of the foods I couldn't have once making the choice, but now it's easy that I see the results of having it out of my life.  My hair is growing in thicker, I rarely have gas, rarely bloat, and have less bathroom trips...like I said, the results of being gluten free are awesome for me.  I wish the sugary foods that I eat would have the same profound results, but I doubt that much will change other than maybe my waistline.  Come to think of it, that does sound like a profound result!!  Glad we talked about it!!!  =)
Sarah B.
on 4/5/10 10:07 pm - Plymouth Meeting, PA
Hmmmm, and just when I was tinkering with the idea of driving by the favorite local handmade candies store to see what Easter goodies they had slashed the prices on....

Good luck, Lori! Let us know how it goes. 
Century Club: 3.14.10 ~ ONEderland 4.28.10 ~ Normal BMI & 150 Pounds Lost: 7.25.10

(HW 317 / SW 301 / GW 169 / CW 144 & LOVING my DS! / 5' 9")
Erynn Z.
on 4/5/10 10:20 pm
Ouch, sugar is hard! (even doing very low carb, there's trace sugar in every brand of full-fat mayo and ranch dressing I could find at the store.)  But if anyone can do it, you can!  (And if you find full-fat condiments without sugar that don't have to be ordered online, please share!)

If you eat anything that uses ketchup, Heinz makes a no-sugar ketchup.  We've been buying it for quite some time, and it's really good.  In fact, even my normie-hubby won't eat normal ketchup anymore, because in his mind, why consume the extra calories if you don't have to?

Power to ya, Lori!  You can do it!!!!
Lori Black
on 4/5/10 11:22 pm - , IN
I don't plan to worry about the sugar in mayo and seasonings and such, just trying to cut out the purposeful sugars like candy and the like.  I'd be killing myself if I tried to avoid it everywhere...like you said, it's in so many things!!

Lori
Julie R.
on 4/5/10 10:27 pm - Ludington, MI
I'm like you, Lori - I'm an all or nothing at all kinda gal, so I can certainly empathize.   I have found that even artificially sweeteners increase my cravings for sugar, but I just can't seem to drop them, what with protein shakes, Power Crunch bars, etc.    Have you noticed this to be the case as well?   I just ate my way through the entire state of Florida last week, and my MIL keeps TONS of candy in the house.  I feel the bloat from all that.   I'm trying to detox right now.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/10 1:52 am - Bellevue, WA
Hey girl!  I am the type that "one is never enough" when it comes to sugar, wine...I know that when it was not in my body (the first year and longer after my DS) I didn't even crave it.  I have been thinking of this as well lately.  I know it would help me lose some weight...but more importantly, it would quiet the crazy talk that goes on in my head!!!

I'll join you in this.  Be prepared, this isn't going to be easy!  I want to be healthy long term too.  What's moderation???  ha ha 
Lori Black
on 4/5/10 11:32 pm - , IN
I can't imagine getting ready to get rid of artificial sweeteners too.  I live on them when it comes to my protein shakes, and I can't get rid of those.  I don't know if the artificial stuff makes me crave sugar, but I do know the artificial stuff helps me when I'm dying to have something sugary. 

I do really like these new stevia products, like Truvia.  Seems like a better alternative to my love, Sweet N Low. 

Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views