quitting MOTRIN 2 weeks b/4 the DS surgery ???

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/26/10 6:59 am - Sedona, AZ

I know they want us to quit MOTRIN 2 weeks before the surgery as it thins the blood but don't they also give us a blood thinner shot before surgery? It just seems contradictory . .the reason I am so concerned is I am now 12 days before surgery and I just had an accident and sprained my wrist, knee & neck and just got home from the ER and need my motrin!

I am very swollen and sore. I could barely think of stopping it for 2 weeks just due to my arthritis in my neck but I was willing to suffer. But now I know I am going to have pain in my neck big time in the next few days from re-injuring it today. No I didnt have a car accident. I was awoken by a phone call and got tripped up in dogs & down comforters trying to get to it this morning and fell hard and gashed a big cut in my forehead and sprained my knee and wrist too. My neck feelsiwusted like a knife is in the upper back .I have had neck problems long enough to know what it's going to feel like tomorrow and for quite awhile as I go to the chiropractor several times a week to fix it.  The irony is it was a courtesy call from CVS and when I went to fill my meds there after the ER I made sure to thank them for their courtesy!! UGH

I left a message with Dr Husted's office asking if there was any chance of getting a later date in December, otherwise I would have to postpone it to a later date in 2011. DAMN! I am so upset.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Rena H.
on 11/26/10 7:04 am - Spokane, WA
it is also pretty hard on your stomach. 

but the main thing is they wanna be in control of how thin your blood is. You toss the motrin factor in there and suddenly you could be bleeding out on the table. 

Believe me, you shouldn't cheat on that one. Call your surgeon and ask what you can take for the pain. Or postpone the surgery until you are feeling better.

Good luck, I'm sorry your hurt.

-Rena
HW - 395 / SW - 358 / GW - 150

Elizabeth N.
on 11/26/10 7:13 am - Burlington County, NJ
You'll need to go to something like Tylenol or an opioid. Do NOT cheat on the Motrin/Aleve/aspirin thing. It is not contradictory at all. You do NOT want your blood clotting ability to be the slightest bit off when you have surgery.
(deactivated member)
on 11/26/10 9:23 am
Why don't you just get a prescription for a painkiller that does not thin the blood?
Motrin may not help with the pain as much anyway as some of the others do.
I sure would not reschedule my surgery for it.
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/26/10 9:34 am - Sedona, AZ
NO I wouldnt lie and say I hadnt taken Motrin if I had- I had to take some this morning after the fall as I was swelling up but I did also get a pain pill from the ER and only took that so far after getting home but I was sposed to quit 2 weeks before the surgery and now it's only 12 days. I wouldnt hide that fact. I will find out Monday if I need to reschedule. I did call Dr Husted's office to tell them what happened. I will hold out as long as I can without another Motrin but it's already less that 2 weeks now. . .I wouldnt chance something like that and bleed out - no way!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/10 9:36 am
Nonsteroidals like Motrin affect your platelets' ability to clot blood.  Aspirin is the worst offender.  Blood thinners like heparin and Lovenox given perioperatively affect clotting factors, but not platelets.  Blood thinners are safer because there are medications to reverse those meds if bleeding occurs.  There is no reversal for nonsteroidals' effects on platelets.  You either have to transfuse platelets in patients who are bleeding internally or wait 2 weeks for your body to get rid of all the defective ones and replace them with normal platelets again.  At any rate, it's much easier to stop NSAIDs at least 2 weeks prior to surgery and give yourself every chance for a successful surgery. 
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/26/10 3:13 pm - Sedona, AZ
thank you - I was hoping you would make perfect sense of it for me! Thanks a bunch!!

Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 299 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 771 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views