Diabetes Resolution after a DS

southernlady5464
on 1/15/11 9:53 am
How soon does it happen typically and what percentage is typical?

The reason I ask is I am on an insulin pump. but let me go back to Wed and what happened in my pre-op for my surgery. Was suppose to have it Monday but it snowed and it got canceled. We couldn’t get there.

Anyway, first off was the pre-op at the surgeon’s office with the nurse. I don’t know why it is but some of their staff, I get crosswise in the road with, she was one. Some of the staff, I’m fine with, the office staff is an example. We were going along fine til we got to two subjects, my insulin pump and my celebrex.

First off my celebrex. I knew I had to come off it for the week prior to surgery, I was mentally prepared for that. But then she tells me I have to stay off it for a month afterward. MAN!!!! I am going to be one hurting puppy!, I asked what else there was to take and she said, I was already on everything else they would give.

Next, my insulin pump. While most diabetics are resolved from their diabetes because of this surgery, I know it’s not 100% and even then, it’s not always immediately. It can take several months for your diabetes to resolve. I was planning on wearing my pump, set on it’s basel rate which is it’s rate which I use when I don’t eat anything, thru surgery so that it would be out of the way of any surgery location. I have done this for other major surgeries such as my sleep apnea (UPPP) surgery and my spinal surgery. And it was fine, the surgeons had no issue and my blood sugars remained normal throughout the procedure.

Anyway, the nurse I saw yesterday informs me not to even bother wearing it to the hospital as I won’t need it during the surgery or afterward because my diabetes WILL be resolved. Now, the statistics is 98% on resolution, NOT 100%. And even when it does resolve, it’s not always immediately after surgery. (Am I right on these numbers?)

She goes on to inform me, that I will be rewired. Well, yes, but I will still be a diabetic. She is a surgical nurse not a diabetic nurse and I knew she knew NOTHING about pumpers when she asked if I used 70/30 insulin in my pump. NO ONE uses 70/30 in a pump. Plus I had Novolog ONLY on my meds list not 70/30 which she had in front of her and we had JUST gone over.

So I am wearing my pump to the hospital, and will disconnect it once there and give it to my husband. I am also planning on taking all my supplies so I can reconnect myself to it IF needed afterward. I do NOT trust her absolute assertion that I can leave it at home as I have read the journals and scientific studies as well and not just those from the bariatric world, but those from the endocrinology world.

IF I could have gone out of state for my DS and get it paid, I would have. SelfPay wasn't an option and have it done this decade. Thankfully my surgeon isn't as clueless as his staff can be. I LIKE him.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

mrsrony
on 1/15/11 10:00 am
They will/should monitor you manually.  They tested my BS every 4 hours and administered insulin as needed for the 5 days I was there.  I left the hospital off the long term insulin completely.  It took 2 months to get off the Levemir.  I would assume they would monitor directly while you were there and give you instructions afterward. 
You can either stop dreaming and face reality or keep dreaming & create your reality.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers
southernlady5464
on 1/15/11 10:05 am
See, I'm not on any short acting at all...just the long acting. I haven't been on a short acting insulin since 2003 when I went on a pump. Pumpers don't use short acting insulin. We cover everything using novolog (the long acting insulin).

I don't mind them testing me, but I have a standing order of health care from my endo allowing me to use my own pump in just these situations.

I did it after a NINE hour back surgery without a problem, went thru that with my pump on and handled my own insulin afterward with my pump.

But yes, I can see taking it off and putting it back on ONLY if needed.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

walter A.
on 1/15/11 10:05 am - lafayette, NJ
she is wrong,, is your doctor that maintains your diabetes attending at that hospital,, if not get a referral to a endocrist to attend to you while there.  i was frequently given insulin while on Iv only post op,,, and my blood glucose has never been as high as it is now since i have had the ds,,, all thought probably much better than most diabetics  , I caught on to having diabetes at a very early stage and treat it very aggressively.  I'm off meds,, but expect to resume them in February when i see my edocrist.
southernlady5464
on 1/15/11 10:08 am
Unfortunately no he isn't. I don't have a local endo so I will have to depend on one there. But get in front of one and they know I know what I am talking about, :) 

Thanks for your reply.

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 10:05 am
I was on Metformin before my DS, but not insulin.  Hopefully someone who was in your situation will chime in soon.  I can tell you, that my glucose numbers were normal the day after surgery.  I never took another Metformin pill again.  The hospital staff did check my glucose several times a day while I was in the hospital.  Upon discharge, my surgeon said I no longer needed to check my sugars, as they had been stable the entire hospital stay.  I haven't even felt like I was getting too high or too low since surgery.  I hope your diabetes is resolved as quickly as mine was!
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 10:08 am
I was severely diabetic and now 5 years post op I am hypoglycemic but I eat every 2 hours or snack.  It's hard to keep the weight coming off that way though.  My diabetes and no insulin and meds didn't happen until about 6 months post op.  I had to check sugars constantly and still do that. 
southernlady5464
on 1/15/11 10:12 am
See, I KNEW she was wrong about me not needing it after surgery. I might NOT need it but then again, I might.

I'm going by the, prepare for the worst, hope for the best scenario.

walter A.
on 1/15/11 10:17 am - lafayette, NJ
I was taken off all meds also,,,now i take my leves 3x daly, and i am often shocked at the reading ,, 1st ams can be a pleasant 80/ or not so good 140,,   bed time a nice 130 or a disasterouse 170 when i will take a starlix that pushes some insulin out of the pancrease and will drop me back to 100. I chart all this with a data link from my meter to bayers glugofacts software,, its free meters and software from bayer...just askem.
mrsrony
on 1/15/11 10:20 am
The hospital should have an endo on staff dont they?  I cant believe they would just ASSume you wouldnt need any insulin!  Thats just crazy.
You can either stop dreaming and face reality or keep dreaming & create your reality.

LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 315 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 779 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views