Heme iron amount question

Lisey
on 3/22/11 2:36 pm - Milwaukee suburb, WI
I used to take ferrous fumerate & am now switching to heme iron since it's so much better absorbed.  I currently have a bottle of Proferrin ES Heme Iron Polypetide.  One pill is 67% of daily value, so I should take two, yes?  What do other people take?

I'm placing a large vitalady order & am going to order the Niferex.  From what I can tell, one pill is sufficient, yes?  Just wondering how much to order.  Thanks, all~

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

P. Poster
on 3/22/11 9:07 pm
Hi Lisey :)  I started on the Proferrin at 6 months out.  My iron #'s were all nice and really high at that time, but I was coming off the Vita4Life program which had lots of iron in it, and going to the Vitalady plan.  Since my iron #'s were so high, I decided to start with ONE Proferrin a day, split in half, first thing in the AM.  I did that for 3 months, and my labs started to slip.  Not DRASTICALLY (and nowhere near a deficiency, but still), but enough that I realized that 1 pill was not enough for me.  I now take two, split in half, every AM (away from everything and on an empty stomach).  I won't know how this is working for me for another few months, but I am hopeful this is the "sweet spot" for me.  

I can't help you on the Niferex.  
morgangirl
on 3/23/11 12:16 am - MI
e******grl -
Am I understanding that you take 2 pills at the same time?  I'm just curious because I'm always wondering how much our bodies will absorb and how much of that just passes thru.  2 pills is what dosage I most likely will be taking and to split them up in the day away from any calcium and my protein shakes, which I make with milk is going to be rough.
P. Poster
on 3/23/11 12:21 am
 Yes, I take two pills (broken in half for better absorption) at the same time.  I take these as soon as I wake up, with water, away from everything.  I wait about an hour before eating/drinking anything, and about 2 hours before taking my first batch of full vites.  
Kerry J.
on 3/23/11 12:32 am - Santa Clara, UT
I've never tried the Niferex, so I don't know what it's like. But my Iron schedule is to take 3 VL Tender Iron Caps first thing in the morning, then I take a Heme Cap with my noon dose of vitamins, then at about 6:00PM or when ever I come home from work, I take 3 more tenders, then just before bed I take a Proferrin ES broken in half. Seems to be working well; my Iron was in the tank a year ago and my last labs in Sept. it was all in the normal or good range. I'll bet when my next labs are done, I'll be able to back off a bit on the Heme. But we will just have to wait and see.

The Heme Cap I take is one I found on eBay cgi.ebay.com/DHC-Heme-iron-60days-made-Japan-/180613710589 I checked into it and it's made from Pork blood, Proferrin is made from Beef blood. I started taking it when the Proferrin wasn't available and have not had any problems, it seems to work just fine and my numbers are coming up nicely.

Kerry
* Gail R *
on 3/23/11 3:30 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Hi Kerry, You say caps---are these products in capsule form or tablets? I prefer capsules but have only found them in tablet form.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Kerry J.
on 3/23/11 3:34 am - Santa Clara, UT
The Heme Iron I get from eBay are gel caps, not hard pills like the Proferrin ES. I've bought from the same seller 4 times and it's always been just what it was supposed to be. They take a little over a week to get here because they come from Japan, but the shipping is only $3.00. And, they cost less than half what the Proferrin costs.

Kerry
Kayla B.
on 3/23/11 6:00 am - Austin, TX
Wanna a share a link?  Those darn proferrins are bankrupting me!  LOL
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Kerry J.
on 3/23/11 7:13 am - Santa Clara, UT
There's a link in the post above the one you responded to Kayla.
Larissa P.
on 3/23/11 7:40 am - Denton, TX

Yeah, what Kayla said. Don't be hogging all the good stuff, share!

Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 799 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1078 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 353 views