Caffine and Diet Soda

fradcliff
on 5/8/11 10:53 pm
DS on 01/25/11 with
Hello and Happy Monday!!

I am 15 weeks out and doing great thanks to a lot of advise I have read on this site thank you all !! My questions is....

1. How does caffine effect DS patients, I was told not to cosume to much caffine by my dietetian but most of the info they give me is more directed to RNY. They perform more RNY's then DS.

2. I was also told to NEVER have POP/SODA ever again. I see on some of these post that DS'rs do enjoy an ocassional carbinated beverage. Again my info is coming from a facility that preform more RNY's

Thank you again for any and all input this is a wonderful and informative site and I hope to be able to give info to future DS newbies when I'm a few years out.

OhioSteve
on 5/8/11 11:26 pm
You can have all the caffeine you want.

However, in some DS patients caffeine can exaggerate reactive hypoglycemia. Low blood sugar can also cause you to eat a lot more than you normally would.

Some people do just fine with it though. YMMV.

Steve in Cleveland, Ohio - BPD/DS 02/25/2008
The WLS information site you can edit and improve! www.wlswiki.com
beemerbeeper
on 5/8/11 11:39 pm - AL
Caffeine is a YMMV sort of thing.  For me it dehydrates enough to cause severe foot cramps in the night which I can't stand so I try to stay away from it.

I do drink caffeine free carbonated drinks.

Early out I stayed with water.  The carbonation would have been miserably uncomfortable in my tiny stomach.

I would recommend getting your 64 oz of water first and then if you have room for a couple sips of diet coke go for it. 

~Becky

strawberry28
on 5/9/11 5:48 am - somewhere, MD
Ahhh...Is that why I get the damn foot cramps!?!?!

SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/11 12:15 pm
 I would'nt count on it. Better also check your Magnesium Citrate and/or Potassium. Either or both of those being low can cause really bad leg/foot cramping, or muscle twitching. 
Personally I have to take quit a bit of Magnesium Citrate and pretty high doses of Rx Potassium for those goofy muscles in my legs and feet  not to do the cramping and twitching.
Amanda S.
on 5/9/11 12:00 am - New York, NY

I am having such a hard time with my water intake I would not be the one to advise anyone!!  Usually if I feeling for one I just have it.  Now that Becky said it I did have a muscle cramp the other night.  So I know I need to increase my water intake.  As far as weight goes I didn't have a problem with the soda.

Take care

Amanda

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

Elizabeth N.
on 5/9/11 2:03 am - Burlington County, NJ
I get my morning caffeine from tea, not coffee. I happily drink my nice hot tea loaded with cream for a good fat carrier.

I went back to diet soda something like three or four months out, fountain soda only at first as canned and bottled were too fizzy and hurt my stomach. I drink it daily now, trying to stick with non-brown varieties like diet Sprite or (for caffeine) Mt. Dew, as it is said that the brown sodas contain something or other that can contribute to bone mineral loss. But if the only thing available is diet Coke/Pepsi, that's what I drink.
PattyL
on 5/9/11 4:13 am
 I have no problems with caffeine or diet soda.  I drink both.  But I do lose a lot easier when I avoid artificial sweeteners.
Ellen G.
on 5/9/11 4:27 am - Bensalem, PA
I'm almost 8 months out and I still struggle to get all my fluids in.  That being said, I have one cup of coffee in the morning...I actually turn it into an iced protein coffee to get the most out of it.  Diet soda makes me feel crappy...I guess because of the bubbles in my stomach.  I just stick with water.
sosoclark
on 5/9/11 5:35 am - Sacramento, CA
I am 5 months out and I love love love Diet Mug Root Beer and Coca-Cola Zero!!!! I try not to over do it but sometimes water just dosen't get it for me.

Sophia

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1005 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1185 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 472 views