Public link to my nutrition/bariatric articles, etc.

dakota80
on 6/1/11 11:56 pm - TX
Good morning beauties! 

Below I have copied in a link to my public MobileMe account (Apple email account).
If you log in with the password "slimsters" you will have access to any of the research articles, medication information, lab suggestions, etc. I have saved on my computer. 

I will update it as I obtain new data, so you are welcome to check back at any time.
If you have an article you would like to share, please email it to me. 

[email protected]

Let me know if you have any questions. 

https://public.me.com/danamarlane
password: slimsters
Into NUTrition? Then join our "Nutrition Matters" group on Facebook. 
The information in this post is my opinion and not intended to be or implied to be fact or a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content and information contained in this post is for educational purposes only. I assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained in this post, and such information is subject to change without notice. You should confirm any information obtained from this post with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your MD. Never delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read in this post or on this web site. I am not responsible nor liable for any opinion, advice, medical treatment or other information you obtain through this post or web site.

NoMore B.
on 6/2/11 12:21 am, edited 6/2/11 12:21 am
Dana,

OK, I'm going to be a little foward here because I've been curious how to frame up in my own mind your recent activities in our community.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this has been my perception up to now.

1.  I first saw you here as an employee of Dr Felix Spiegel, defending him and his experience with the DS.  I think that was disproven.

2.  You deleted the majority of your posts in that thread, so I cant entirely follow what happened, other from the OH'ers that quoted you on it.

3.  You then came back under this screen name and first posted about DO NOT USE DR FELIX SPIEGEL, talking about how money hungry he was.  If I'm not mistaken, you may have posed as a patient of his in that thread.  That thread has been deleted, I assume, since I cannot find it but I recall it well.

4.  You friended dozens of people on Facebook, and started a group page on nutrtion.

5.  It appears you spend a ton of time finding articles, posting on the FB page, and now here.

Before I decide how and if I want to interact with you and your group, I have some questions.

1 - Who are you working for now?  Is your FB group and your online activities your own or as part of another surgical practice?

2 - Can you please explain your different screen names, deleted oosts, and confirm or deny my recollection that you came here posing as a patient of Dr Spiegel?

3 - What is your motivation for the amount of time you're spending developing your Facebook page?  Is it to selflessly serve the bariatric community (of which you are not a patient), or is there a profit motivation down the road?

4 - What is your experience with DS'ers?  How many have you worked with?

Thanks
dakota80
on 6/2/11 12:56 am - TX
On June 2, 2011 at 7:21 AM Pacific Time, Joanne B. wrote:
Dana,

OK, I'm going to be a little foward here because I've been curious how to frame up in my own mind your recent activities in our community.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, this has been my perception up to now.

1.  I first saw you here as an employee of Dr Felix Spiegel, defending him and his experience with the DS.  I think that was disproven.

2.  You deleted the majority of your posts in that thread, so I cant entirely follow what happened, other from the OH'ers that quoted you on it.

3.  You then came back under this screen name and first posted about DO NOT USE DR FELIX SPIEGEL, talking about how money hungry he was.  If I'm not mistaken, you may have posed as a patient of his in that thread.  That thread has been deleted, I assume, since I cannot find it but I recall it well.

4.  You friended dozens of people on Facebook, and started a group page on nutrtion.

5.  It appears you spend a ton of time finding articles, posting on the FB page, and now here.

Before I decide how and if I want to interact with you and your group, I have some questions.

1 - Who are you working for now?  Is your FB group and your online activities your own or as part of another surgical practice?

2 - Can you please explain your different screen names, deleted oosts, and confirm or deny my recollection that you came here posing as a patient of Dr Spiegel?

3 - What is your motivation for the amount of time you're spending developing your Facebook page?  Is it to selflessly serve the bariatric community (of which you are not a patient), or is there a profit motivation down the road?

4 - What is your experience with DS'ers?  How many have you worked with?

Thanks
 I understand your questions/concerns and will do my best to explain.

In my original thread, I introduced myself and defended the nutrition care I was providing to patients. If you review the thread, you will see I was unable to answer the questions about my previous employer and the vast majority of the conversation was about my experience and knowledge related to bariatrics. 

Here is a quote from the conversation:
"Why fault me for my lack of experience in bariatrics? I can't help I do not work with any vets.
You can hate Dr. Spiegel all you want; that isn't my main concern. I am here to defend the nutrition care our patients receive. Whether or not you want to admit it, we are fighting the same fight."

I came to the board wanting to learn about the DS patients specifically, because our volume was rapidly increasing and I had very little knowledge of the long-term nutrition management other than data published in studies.  

In retrospect, I would have handled things differently, and I apologize to any of you that I have upset or offended. I can assure you, that was not my intention. I deleted my posts to protect my best interest at the time because of my employment. However, that was unnecessary because nothing I said was offensive or derogatory towards anyone. 

Since then, I have resigned from my position within the practice and am currently unemployed. 
However, all of the patients I was seeing and caring for were baby DSers and I was worried about them. They were worried. Rightfully, so.

Honestly, until I spoke with Stormy and Elizabeth N. I had no idea about the amounts of vitamins you all required or even about the issues you all faced regarding medical care. I had no idea. I was, and have been blown away. Speaking with them and other DSers has been an incredible benefit to my education. I can not thank them enough for taking me under their wings. I love bariatrics and def. want to stay within the field. If by financial gain you mean continuing to see bariatric patients, then yes. I think they need it and it means a lot to me as well. I have a lot of time because I am unemployed. lol However, I have had all of those articles... I just realized some of you really enjoyed having access to the literature as well so I made the articles/info. public. I do enjoy researching and learning. I thrive off of it. I am very interested in the DS specifically, because there is so much unknown and the nutritional management is very challenging. 

To answer your other question regarding facebook. The FB account has been active for some time. I added in several of the DSers from this site to help educate my baby DSers (and me and other surgical patients too). It seems to be helpful so I figured I would expand it. 

There isn't much else other than that. I am genuine and want to help. I have no ill intentions. I've made a few mistakes along the way, but I recognize those and am learning/growing. 

Hope this answers some of your questions.

The information in this post is my opinion and not intended to be or implied to be fact or a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. All content and information contained in this post is for educational purposes only. I assume no responsibility for the accuracy of information contained in this post, and such information is subject to change without notice. You should confirm any information obtained from this post with other sources, and review all information regarding any medical condition or treatment with your MD. Never delay seeking medical treatment because of something you have read in this post or on this web site. I am not responsible nor liable for any opinion, advice, medical treatment or other information you obtain through this post or web site.

beemerbeeper
on 6/2/11 2:19 am - AL
Dana,

I'll just have to say this.  Until you have more knowledge about what we as DSers need I hope you will continue on your learning path but stop giving advice for now.

Just the advice I ran into while spending  a few minutes on your facebook page was enough for me to know that you do not understand our needs yet.

I applaud your efforts but please continue educating yourself and THEN start giving advice.  You might want to "intern" under an established vet here for a while by running you ideas past them before posting them for example. 

Suggesting that we *all* take digestive enzymes so that we can absorb fat soluble vitamins?  Recommending high carb low protein shakes?  These were a couple of red flags for me.

~Becky

dakota80
on 6/2/11 2:41 am - TX
On June 2, 2011 at 9:19 AM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
Dana,

I'll just have to say this.  Until you have more knowledge about what we as DSers need I hope you will continue on your learning path but stop giving advice for now.

Just the advice I ran into while spending  a few minutes on your facebook page was enough for me to know that you do not understand our needs yet.

I applaud your efforts but please continue educating yourself and THEN start giving advice.  You might want to "intern" under an established vet here for a while by running you ideas past them before posting them for example. 

Suggesting that we *all* take digestive enzymes so that we can absorb fat soluble vitamins?  Recommending high carb low protein shakes?  These were a couple of red flags for me.

~Becky

Becky,

A DS VET posted that SHE takes enzymes occasionally to promote absorption of her fat soluble vitamins and I think that is reasonable and a great idea. I did not, nor would I ever state that you should take enzymes every day, with every meal.
Taking them every day would contradict the surgery.

I posted the Nestle shakes as an option for some (no I do not work for Nestle) and I did not recommend it for everyone. You took that conversation way out of context. 

Good grief. 
There are tons of DS vets on that site and that is who I was discussing the topic with. That WAS A CONVERSATION AMONGST LOTS OF DS vets. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/11 3:37 am
On June 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM Pacific Time, dakota80 wrote:
Dana,

~Becky

Becky,

A DS VET posted that SHE takes enzymes occasionally to promote absorption of her fat soluble vitamins and I think that is reasonable and a great idea. I did not, nor would I ever state that you should take enzymes every day, with every meal.

I posted the Nestle shakes as an option for some (no I do not work for Nestle) and I did not recommend it for everyone. You took that conversation way out of context. 

Good grief. 
There are tons of DS vets on that site and that is who I was discussing the topic with. That WAS A CONVERSATION AMONGST LOTS OF DS vets. 
Dana,

No worries.  This one acts like the vitamin and lab police most of the time.  I corrected her once and she blocked me. lol

You, on the other hand, have impressed a lot of us by your willingness to learn and discuss.

Michele
dakota80
on 6/2/11 4:49 am - TX
On June 2, 2011 at 10:37 AM Pacific Time, m h wrote:
On June 2, 2011 at 9:41 AM Pacific Time, dakota80 wrote:
Dana,

~Becky

Becky,

Good grief. 
Dana,

No worries.  This one acts like the vitamin and lab police most of the time.  I corrected her once and she blocked me. lol

You, on the other hand, have impressed a lot of us by your willingness to learn and discuss.

Michele
 Michelle and Kayla, 

Thank you very much - it means a lot.

Elizabeth N.
on 6/3/11 8:29 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dana, this one is a crazy **** who can be easily ignored. She thinks she's an expert and she ain't. You're better off now that she has blocked.

Kayla B.
on 6/2/11 2:51 am - Austin, TX
I merely posted that I do occasionally take digestive enzymes along with healthy fats as a way to increase the amount of omega 3s that I absorb.  They are VERY good for memory, inflammation, and overall health and healthy aging.  And she merely agreed with the practice.

I never saw Dana agree that taking digestive enzymes should be our norm.

Again, I take them SELECTIVELY with HEALTHY fats, OCCASIONALLY.  You'll never catch me taking them with bacon.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
2bee.or.not2bee
on 6/2/11 3:11 am
 Ok, at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot ~ digestive enzymes - such as Gut Buddies?  I thought that I read taking them would help reduce odor. They help us ABSORB fat??!! Yikes!  So glad I am only two weeks out. I am so glad I have you all to learn from!
~CC

Romans 8:28                                  VSG 1/23/10  DS 5/15/11

VSG weight = 143 kg  VSG low = 116 kg  DS weight = 141.5
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 308 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views